Electronics-Lab.com Community

Assistance with Pizo to Lever Switch

Good evening everyone,

I am little into the realm of electronics - but trying to use some simple pieces to make a few neat devices. With that said, I can put parts together and eventually figure things out, however I'd like to seek some assistance to make sure I am on the right track and also if I can improve what I am doing.  Earlier the 9v I was using got very hot very fast, I don't think that is supposed to happen.

Anyways. I'd like the pizo to beep every time the lever hits the button. I've figured out already that I need the connections on the last two (jumpers?) to make that happen. If it's on the first and third then the pizo beeps until you click.  I tried to google more information but either I'm not searching the correct terms or there isn't much I could find.

Am I hooking this up the correct way? Should the two black wires connect to eachother and then to nothing?    If I were to add a switch (to turn the pizo off when I'm done) where would I put that and what type should I buy?

I would really appreciate any advice!

Thank you.

I am little into the realm of electronics - but trying to use some simple pieces to make a few neat devices. With that said, I can put parts together and eventually figure things out, however I'd like to seek some assistance to make sure I am on the right track and also if I can improve what I am doing.   Earlier the 9v I was using got very hot very fast, I don't think that is supposed to happen.

THat's probably because you short circuited the battery, in other words connected the + directly to the - which would cause a large current to flow and kill the battery.

Anyways. I'd like the pizo to beep every time the lever hits the button. I've figured out already that I need the connections on the last two (jumpers?) to make that happen.

Yes, the circuit you posted will do that.

If it's on the first and third then the pizo beeps until you click.   I tried to google more information but either I'm not searching the correct terms or there isn't much I could find.

I'm not sure what you mean but it sounds like it will be much more complicated.

Am I hooking this up the correct way? Should the two black wires connect to eachother and then to nothing?    If I were to add a switch (to turn the pizo off when I'm done) where would I put that and what type should I buy?

I'm not going to answer that because you already know the answer, whether you realise it or not.

Thanks for the reply Hero. I really appreciate.

So essentially you are saying that I have this under control and just need a little faith in myself?  I realize this is hardly circuitry, just hooking up some wires - but when you are just going out and buying items with no other background info it's hard to have that faith.  Up until yesterday I didn't even know a level switch exsisted. I just saw it, thought "wow thats exactly what I need" and went from there. 

Prior, my design involved having soldering the wire from the 9v to a small copper plate and the wite from the pizo to another copper plate.  When the two meet the pizo beeps.  Now that I've discovered the lever switch I can just have the same result happen by using pressure and not have to worry about having live pieces of metal around and fashioning little pieces of copper.

My issue is that I've never been very mechanical. I can design all sorts of things start to finish on paper... things to build, wiring diagrams, plumbing diagrams. Come time to build - the first piece or cut or what have you, takes me an hour.

Thanks again for the help.

Ed