Electronics-Lab.com Community

Need Help for this simple Relay Driver Circuit

Guest Digonto

Guest Digonto

I am making this circuit for automatic switching light when main AC present or absent for energy saving of my IPS . When AC is present - the Relay will remain on and it will conduct with Normally Open (NO) and 40W Flourescent tube will be ON .

When main AC Fails - the Relay will be OFF and it will conduct with Normally Connected (NC) and 15W Energy Saver CFL will be ON .

Thus I can get rid of manually switching problem when I am in dinning table . ;D

But the problem - Is the circuit diagram OK or not ??  ???

I have the attached the circuit below ---

Please watch this circuit and tell me what have to modify there ........

post-0-14279144319181_thumb.gif

Guest Digonto

Hahahahaha ....  :D Actually I was totally forget about that and it was totally out of my mind .  :P ;D Thanks dude - you really help me a lot ....  :-* :-* :-*

Thanks thanks a lotttttttt

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anjun

your circuit is OK
only you need to remove the 470mfd capacitor or give a low value like 22mfd or 10mfd so that the relay will act fast in changeover
470mfd will retain charge and may release relay to off position after a delay
Another point is that the mains voltage is seldom 230V AC, it may even come down to 205V or 210V so a 0-9V transformer rated 1 amp may be good idea, then put a LM7806 regulator IC after the rectifier bridge. Give 0.1 mfd cap at input and output terminals of regulator IC.
Can you please tell me the capacity of your IPS and battery AH rating?
Thanks!

The original poster has opted for a 230VAC relay,  he's has the sense to realise using a DC PSU to power a DC relay was a silly idea.

Using an LM7806 to power a relay, are you crazy? Totally silly idea.

In developed countries the mains is regulated to within +/-10% of the specified voltage and you can buy relays designed to work over +/-20% of the specified voltage.

Guest Anjun

@Hero999
i assume Digonto is from the Indian sub-continent(hence the use of IPS) where the mains voltage fluctuates out of limits and they have mains load shedding throughout the day and night !!
regards

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Digonto

Ohohohooh ... Guys Relax !! I have bought a 240V AC Relay coil already And 240V AC Relay is more suitable instead of DC Relay . Because it doesn't need any transformer and extra space and it is greatly fitted in my switch box . Thanks Hero for your right suggestion . Currently I am using 240V AC Relay for switching in IPS mode . Now I am thinking to change in that circuit which I will post in few minutes .

And Anjun - My IPS is 1000VA and my Battery is 200AH . And yes I live in India - in a Rural area where uncommon electronics parts found very hardly !! :(

Thanks guys :)