Electronics-Lab.com Community

Is it possible ???

Hello to all the forum members. This is my first post.
A little bit about myself -- I completed my degree in Electronics and communications in 2000.Since then till now I never did anything related to electronics and am working in Software Industry.However I was always very interested in digital logic.
Now I have developed a passion for electronics again and want to do something in this field.May be start a small company ,making innovative circuits or something like that. I know this will take time and I am ready for it.

To begin with I started refreshing my concepts,purchased some DIY Kits etc. and now I am looking forward towards Microcontrollers. That's it at this time,lemme jump to my question.
===========================================================================

Is the below circuit practically possible ? if yes, what will be the complexity and cost involved. if someone can through some ideas about how to begin - I will greatly appreciate that.

Assume there are 50 switches on a board. S1,S2......S50. If I press S1 a message(M1) of length 30 seconds should be played.If I press S2 - Message M2 of 30 sec. should be played and so on.....
Question - Where and how I can store these 50 messages ?? Is there some IC which can hold a 30 sec. msg and I can have 50 such IC's ? 

To answer your question: it's definitely possible.

You shouldn't need to use 50 ICs, unless you need to play them all at once of course, the data could all be stored on one flash memory device and played back through a DAC. There shouldn't be any need to use an MCU with 50 pins either, multiplexing can be used to reduce the number of pins required.

Thanks a lot for the reply........I will apreciate if you can explain in a little bit more detail ? I was looking at the cost of digital to analog converters and they are pretty costly.

Is it possible to make this complete circuit under $20 ?

I want 3 capailities -
1. All the 50 messages should play by themselves one by one in a defined sequence.(If a master switch is pressed)
2. Any message can play depending on the switch pressed.
3. All the 50 messages should play one by one randomly.

Is it a very complicated thing ? I mean I can draw its flow chart and logical flow very easily but not sure of complexity of the electronics involved.

It all depends on the required sound quality and how much experience you have.

It's possible to use PWM from an MCU I/O port and a low-pass filter to get an analogue signal or build an R2R DAC from resistors but the sound quality won't be great. CD sound quality requires a proper DAC, an MCU capable of managing the 88kB/s of data throughput and addressing the 132MB of flash memory to store all of the messages.