Electronics-Lab.com Community

Variable Power Supply 0-25V/0-2.5A With LCD and Button Control

bf2015

I'm just getting back into electronics after about 15 years, just getting into Eagle, and am looking to build a "fairly straightforward" power supply, and I came across this power supply on Felixls for a variable 0-25V/0-2.5A power supply with an LCD readout and button controls.  The site is in Spanish, but I have translated it and have included the theory below.  I been reading the 0-30V Stabilized Power thread here on Electronics Lab, but this power supply is really all I need.   My questions are:

1.  This power supply seem to be "fairly" straightforward.  Is it a decent design (not underpowerd/won't overheat, ect)?
2.  I have made the schematics and boards in Eagle (I've included the eagle zip and also the pdfs).  Can somebody take a look at it and make sure I have done everything right?  Are my routes wide enough?  Where can I put ratsnests?  The boards are doublesided, and since I will be doing the "make-your-own-board-with-toner" method, I was thinking about making 2 single-sided boards and then put them together to make the double-sided board.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Site Link:  http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://sergiols.blogspot.com/search/label/Digital-Power-Supply&usg=ALkJrhjkal1Ctp4N19PuSq4wsLhHFwWDgA

Description
This project is based on changes in Valdorros Osvaldo (see forum thread TodoPic ) to the power supply elektor magazine's number 260.

The source has the following characteristics

powereaglefiles.zip

powerpdf.zip

1) How do we know what your requirements are?
2) It's better, cheaper and easier to just use double sided copper clad board in the first place rather than bodging a double sided PCB from two single sided PCBs.

The main problem I can see with the circuit is the peak voltage from the rectifier exceeds the maximum voltage rating of the LM324. The MC33074 is a better choice as it's rated to 44V but it has a higher roll-off and a different gain/phase shift so you may need to change some of the capacitor vales in the feedback loop.

I haven't analysed it in detail so there could be other problems.