Electronics-Lab.com Community

DIY problems--Capacitor Voltages

I enjoy at DIY ,buy I can't understand what is going on with attaching a 1 farad capacitor inbetween (and in parallel) an amp/sub and a battey for a car audio system. I bought  two kinds, a 16V and a 20V (or 20V and 24V peak),and brand of both of them  are Suntan.

My questions is, since the relationship is Q = CV, how can the 16V or 20V capacitor every be fully charged if the battery is 12V (or 13.8 running, whatever)? Basically, I don't see any benefit in getting a 20V capacitor if it can never charge fully, not even on a 16V capacitor. Also, how does that work; how can you have 16V/20V in parallel with 12V? Does the capacitor simply charge up to 12V and stop (which would make sense, because at that point the capacitor would act as an open since no current would pass through it)? Is it pointless to spend the extra $50 and get a 20V capactior?

I don't know what's the problems .Anybody who have better recomendations in that price range, please tell me.