Electronics-Lab.com Community

TESTING A 40673 DUAL GATE MOSFET

It's a depletion MOSFET.

It's normally on (low resistance between the drain and source) when the gate voltage is zero. When the voltage on the gates is negative with respect to the source, there will be a high resistance between the drain and source. The resistance between the gates and drain/source should always be infinite.

You can test it using the meter's resistance setting and bias the gate with a 6V battery or a small power supply, 5V will do.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/index1/40673.pdf

Hi,
thanks for the reply, though I should have mentioned that I am a complete novice in electronics.
I am not quite sure of what you mean, do I apply 5 volts directly to one of the gate legs ?.
And if I see a high resistance ....is the mosfet in good condition ?.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this matter , and thank you for your reply

Firstly, measure the resistance between both gates (connect them together) and drain and source, the resistance should be near infinite, >100M.

Secondly connect both of the gates to the drain. Measure the resistance between the drain (meter positive) and the source meter negative), it should be under 1k.

Finally connect the 5V supply's positive to the source and negative to the gates. Measure the source - drain resistance, it should be much higher than the previous measurement >1M.