Electronics-Lab.com Community

Personal Project With Lights & Settings

Hi, I’m currently onto some small personal project of mine that I thought of just messing around with but don’t have the knowledge, so I’m hoping that I would get some help here with it.
I have a non-toggle switch (like a lighter, you need to press and hold for a continuous flow of flame) that connects to a strip of LED (no flashing), run by 12V battery.
Now, I want to modify it that if I press and hold ON onto the switch for more than 7 seconds, it will start flashing at 1Hz. The flashing will only stop if I let go of the switch, but shall immediately “reset” into normal again. (will not flash unless until 7 seconds again)
Now a tricky one;
Another set (I have a non-toggle switch (like a lighter, you need to press and hold for a continuous flow of flame) that connects to a strip of LED (no flashing), run by 12V battery.)
Now, I want this set to flash at 4Hz for 4 seconds once “Poke” ON onto the switch. I realise this is quite difficult as it also means there must be some “reserve” energy for this to happen. I just have to “Poke” or “Tab” the switch and it will flash for 4 seconds.
Can anyone help me with this, please?

What do you mean by reverse energy?

It can be done with a simple microcontroller, which is basically a very simple computer on a single chip, that can be programmed to do a variety of different tasks. There are other ways of doing it with logic gates, transistors and relays but by the time you've done that, you might as well have invested the time and money in learning about microcontrollers.

It's actually reServe energy, because normally when you "tab" on a light switch, you would see the light illuminate for as long as you "poke" (press for 1 sec, and you'll see 1 sec of light). But I need it to flash for 4 secs with just 1 sec of poking the switch.

Oh I misread it.

What  mean I mean is why do you need to store energy?

The 12V battery is still there right? All that  needs to be done is not switch the light directly. The light could be connected via the control system (microcontroller and transistor/relays) which is permanently connected to the battery. The control system would then be programmed to respond to the switch's status.

There's some small help there. Thanks. I say "small" is because due to my no-technical-knowledge background, I would only progress if given more detailed information. But I guess this is what I get for free advice. Thanks very much for your time. You're very kind to dedicate some time of yours to give advises to total strangers like me. Hopefully should I need further info, you're still here to help. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...