Electronics-Lab.com Community

Power LED 1, or LED 2, or LED 3 with AND logic

I need some help building a simple circuit  (logic wise it's simple, that is). I can build it with three mechanical relays, but I'd prefer to do it with solid-state components. Unfortunately my electronics knowledge doesn't extend much beyond a basic understanding of simple components.

Here what it needs to do:

I have two switches, switch 1 & switch 2, which send 12 volts to two different automotive components. The switches are "latching", not momentary. When switch 1 is turned on I want to light LED 1. When switch 2 is on, I want to light LED 2 (I know how to do that part of the system). However, when BOTH switches are on, I want to detect the "AND" condition and light a third LED 3 while shutting off LED's 1 & 2. If switch 1 or 2 is shut off, it should fall back to lighting the proper LED 1 or 2 and drop power to LED 3. I don't need any serious power through the circuit, the main switches take care of that, I just need to light the LED's.

Are there some logical components I can use to do this (and I need hand holding... my skills are more limited than you think :-)

Thanks,

It can be done using combinational logic, composed of logic ICs or a programable device such as a microcontroller. In this case discrete ICs (CD4000 or 74HC series) or even transistors will do.

Here are a couple of links to some tutorials:
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Projects/Labview/gatesfunc/index.html
http://www.opamp-electronics.com/tutorials/digital_theory_ch_003.htm