Electronics-Lab.com Community

Want to build: Simple audio player (with a couple whistles)

I have a friend who I am trying to help out.

I want to build something that will play and loop a single (or series of) audio clip(s) when powered up. I'm not sure how long the clip is yet, but my guess is that it is about 30 minutes. The project will be placed inside the shell for a CB radio and the audio will play through a single small speaker that will be connected to the box. An LED will show that it is powered on. As an added extra, I would also like to have another LED illuminate at select moments within the clip (to simulate "interuptions" of radio chatter). The hope is to create this on a budget but I realize that some parts do cost a little bit.

I have some experience with electronics, though I have not done much in many years.

My thoughts on how to activate the extra LED include:

• a timer circuit to illuminate the LED at the desired moments
  • separate the clip into tracks and:
    • a counter will tell the LED when to illuminate
    • isolate the audio to one channel and use a signal on the other to illuminate the LED

Again I have some experience that I haven't used in a while so I am using what I remember as a starting point to get some concrete ideas on how to go about it.

Thanks for any ideas you have!