Electronics-Lab.com Community

audio application...midrange control : potentiometer panning between L and C

Guest tonequester

Guest tonequester

Greetings to ALL. :)

I hope I'm in the right place for this topic. The fact is that I am a newbie with forums, and computers as well(dangerous combination). I am trying to put together a modification device for use on my electric guitar. It will replace one of my tone controls. It will be switchable, and both tone controls will be master controls, So I can always have standard tone control, and can switch the modification in or out of the circuit.

The device will use a concentric "blender" pot, made for panning between pickups, or other sources(500kOhm). I intend to pan between a .001uf capacitor, sending higher frequencies to ground, and a special design inductor(2.5H., with a Q of 30) to send lower frequencies to ground.

I had figured to solder one lead of the cap, to source connection #1 one of the pot, and one lead of the inductor to source #2 of the pot. I would have then soldered the other leads of cap and inductor to the back of the pot, which would be grounded to the guitars shielding.

However, when I got the pot through the mail, I found that it does not have a metal case to solder to. So, my first question is just a double check. Is there any problems that may be encountered by grounding the cap and inductor directly to a common ground on the guitar cavity's shielding ? I can't see what it would hurt, but I have been stupid before, and I'd rather get it right BEFORE soldering.

That being said, my second question about this project is : Can anybody tell me in a fairly simple way, if the Q would affect the tone on a control like I have described, and if so,......how ?

I apologize for "doubling up", and for a rather long post, but I tried to get a reply on another forum concerning this, and got nowhere.. I sure would appreciate some help with this. I could buy a similar mod for $50.00, but I can build one for less than $10.00.  Much thanks in advance to any who can reply.  Best Regards....tonequester.