Electronics-Lab.com Community

Multiple OS project development experience share

Hi, Guy

I have joined this forum some time. Recently, i have just finished a project development. The project is building CMD line(cli) tools for multiple OS, windows10, linux and macos. I just want to share you guys my experience with the 3 platform. BTW, the RTL8722DM dev from following link is what my project is used for. https://www.amebaiot.com/en/amebad-arduino-getting-started/

Basically, windows is the most convenient platform. It has all kind of tools for compiling c, cpp and c# projects. One things need to be considered. 1, if you use visual studio for c# in windows. the tool you have build is not easy to transfer in to the other platforms. To support a visual studio c# project there a lot of works to do in linux and macos. Additionally, you have to set up the toolchain/compiler properly for windows. 

Linux has no issue to compile my project. But lack of development tools and "sudo" sometimes gives you big problem. For, c and cpp development, i suggest that linux is the best and all project is able to transfer to the other platform. 

Macos has the most limitations. i am a windows person so using macos to development is a bit trouble for me. And the disc name of macos always has a "space" which is very bad for process command. However, i would say the project made by macos is the most stable and small size one. 

To summarize, if you trying to make a multiple platform/OS support project. I would recommend to use c/cpp project and start on linux. Please try not to start with windows, windows is the easiest way, but will gives you troubles when trying to support all 3 platform/OS. 

1_XMJi4gKrMuHbjOcKLOSTzA.png