Basic solar information

J

Jack Russell

Jan 1, 1970
0
I have an RV that we use as a "summer cabin" on our property. I presently
have 2 Trojan T-105's and 95w of solar on the roof. I'm not sure of the
daily consumption in a/Hrs, but we seemed to be tasking the batteries more
than what was being replaced. I purchased a Kyrocera 85 and a Morningstar
PS15 to get more charging power.

QUESTION: At the latitude of 37' 47" and the panels fixed at around 12°
facing south, how many aHr's can I expect daily (assuming good and clear
conditions) during the peak summer months?

I understand sizing to meet my maximum needs but given the cost of Pv...I
need to reduce my needs to the system size.

THANKS
Paul
Las Vegas
 
E

Eeyore

Jan 1, 1970
0
Jack said:
I have an RV that we use as a "summer cabin" on our property. I presently
have 2 Trojan T-105's and 95w of solar on the roof. I'm not sure of the
daily consumption in a/Hrs, but we seemed to be tasking the batteries more
than what was being replaced. I purchased a Kyrocera 85 and a Morningstar
PS15 to get more charging power.

QUESTION: At the latitude of 37' 47" and the panels fixed at around 12°
facing south, how many aHr's can I expect daily (assuming good and clear
conditions) during the peak summer months?

It depends where you live ( I see Las vegas in your case which certainly has
good insolation). Google for 'insolation' and you should be able to find a
map, chart or table that tells you the statistical average insolation (amount
of sunshine) for where you are.

Then multiply that by the PC panels' conversion efficiency. That'll give you
the maximum theoretical power you can generate. To make best use of it you may
need a MPP (maximum power point) charger if you don't already have one. Hint -
just connecting the panels straight to the battery does not make most
effective use of the electricity you're generating, so if you don't have one,
an MPP charger is likely to be your best option.

Graham
 
E

Eeyore

Jan 1, 1970
0
John invented the NEO magnet 30 years before it was declassified.

Typical of the made-up nonsense you free energy moron love to spout.

I variously see see GM and Munekatsu Shimada credited with this.


Graham
 
I have an RV that we use as a "summer cabin" on our property. I presently
have 2 Trojan T-105's and 95w of solar on the roof. I'm not sure of the
daily consumption in a/Hrs, but we seemed to be tasking the batteries more
than what was being replaced. I purchased a Kyrocera 85 and a Morningstar
PS15 to get more charging power.

QUESTION: At the latitude of 37' 47" and the panels fixed at around 12°
facing south, how many aHr's can I expect daily (assuming good and clear
conditions) during the peak summer months?

I understand sizing to meet my maximum needs but given the cost of Pv...I
need to reduce my needs to the system size.

THANKS
Paul
Las Vegas

If you only want to quantify your production, then here's a ~ $50 item
that should help http://tinyurl.com/3cdurx. But you have inescapable
losses that need to be accounted for, including the battery's Peukert
exponent. So it's best to measure the net production/consumption,
which is most conveniently done with a ~$200 battery monitor like this
one http://store.solar-electric.com/e-meter.html. With all loads shut
off and batteries charging it will read out the net PV power. With the
PV shut off it can read out individual loads. But most importantly, it
will allow you to see exactly when you're falling behind. You'll be
able to quickly figure out which loads are the most troublesome and
either mitigate them or increase production.

Wayne
 
E

Eeyore

Jan 1, 1970
0
Anthony said:
I have heard folks above the arctic circle don't get much light during winter at
all.

Some get none at all.

Graham
 
R

Randy

Jan 1, 1970
0
Jack Russell said:
I have an RV that we use as a "summer cabin" on our property. I presently
have 2 Trojan T-105's and 95w of solar on the roof. I'm not sure of the
daily consumption in a/Hrs, but we seemed to be tasking the batteries more
than what was being replaced. I purchased a Kyrocera 85 and a Morningstar
PS15 to get more charging power.

QUESTION: At the latitude of 37' 47" and the panels fixed at around 12°
facing south, how many aHr's can I expect daily (assuming good and clear
conditions) during the peak summer months?

I understand sizing to meet my maximum needs but given the cost of Pv...I
need to reduce my needs to the system size.

THANKS
Paul
Las Vegas

Hi Paul
Welcome to the group.
My answers is more basic.
You can:
Add more panels.
Add a MPPT Charge controler.
Really go high tech and build a fold down tracking rack for the panels.
Use less power, like ditch the 12v incandesents for 12v flouresents or
change the lifestyle- shut off the TV and go to bedtype of stuff.
Run a generator to charge the batteries as needed, its also a great time run
the high powered stuff such as the washer/dryer if available.
But from what I see. you have enough storage, just not enough panels to keep
up the charge.
So since you're in Vegas, hit the casinos and win big, then buy lots of them
KC 85s.
Take care
Randy
 
Top