Contact pattern shifted toward the tooth tip

Kathie

Sep 24, 2026
1
Joined
Sep 24, 2026
Messages
1
Hello everyone, the backlash on this worm gearbox is adjusted using eccentric sleeves located at both ends of the worm.

Recently, due to excessive backlash, I tried adjusting the eccentric sleeves. While the backlash did decrease, a red lead check revealed that the contact pattern had shifted toward the tip of the worm gear teeth; the meshing area was significantly reduced, and the operating noise increased.

I suspect that adjusting the eccentric sleeves altered the center distance between the worm and the gear, causing the meshing position to shift.

I would like to ask: what are the correct steps for adjusting backlash using eccentric sleeves? How can I ensure that both the backlash and the contact pattern meet specifications?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can provide.
 

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
3,820
Joined
Jul 7, 2015
Messages
3,820
This site and forum are for electronics questions. You will likely get better answers from a car forum.
 
Top