Sound module suggestions?

D

David Harper

Jan 1, 1970
0
I'm looking for an audio module that can store atleast 10
addresses/messages (1 sec duration approx). I like quadravox's QV306,
but was wondering if there's any other options out there that might be
a little less expensive. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks!
Dave
 
O

onestone

Jan 1, 1970
0
David said:
I'm looking for an audio module that can store atleast 10
addresses/messages (1 sec duration approx). I like quadravox's QV306,
but was wondering if there's any other options out there that might be
a little less expensive. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Try www.winbond.com. They bought out ISD a while back. ISD make solid
state voice recorders. Some of these are switch driven, some require a
microcontroller to manage them.

If you only require playback the cheapest and simplest method would
probably be a small IIC or SPI flash memory, couple with a very cheap
micro, or some discrete logic to set start/end addresses.

Alternatively if you have any knowledge of microcontrollers you could
use a flash based part with large enough memory, and flash self
programming capability to implement this. An MSP430, for instance, using
straight forward 12 bit analog record and 12->8 bit log compression at
6800 samples/second (adequate for voice) would give very high quality
speech for around 8 seconds. While using something like the modified
CVSD algorithm posted on the Msp430 yahoo group ftp site with a sample
rate of 16kHz you would get very passable speech at just 2k/second, so
around 28 seconds in the MSP430F149.

1 second messages are not very long. Some years ago when I was
developing my own speech compression algorithms I studied average word
lengths, taking 20 different speakers, each reading 5 1000 word
passages. Without silence, which can be software inserted, I calculated
that the average spoken word required 0.4 seconds of storage.

Cheers

Al
 
D

David Harper

Jan 1, 1970
0
onestone said:
Try www.winbond.com. They bought out ISD a while back. ISD make solid
state voice recorders. Some of these are switch driven, some require a
microcontroller to manage them.

If you only require playback the cheapest and simplest method would
probably be a small IIC or SPI flash memory, couple with a very cheap
micro, or some discrete logic to set start/end addresses.

Alternatively if you have any knowledge of microcontrollers you could
use a flash based part with large enough memory, and flash self
programming capability to implement this. An MSP430, for instance, using
straight forward 12 bit analog record and 12->8 bit log compression at
6800 samples/second (adequate for voice) would give very high quality
speech for around 8 seconds. While using something like the modified
CVSD algorithm posted on the Msp430 yahoo group ftp site with a sample
rate of 16kHz you would get very passable speech at just 2k/second, so
around 28 seconds in the MSP430F149.

1 second messages are not very long. Some years ago when I was
developing my own speech compression algorithms I studied average word
lengths, taking 20 different speakers, each reading 5 1000 word
passages. Without silence, which can be software inserted, I calculated
that the average spoken word required 0.4 seconds of storage.

Cheers

Al

Wow, thanks for the info! I'll definately check them out. Yeah, I'm
versed in microcontrollers (atleast Basic Stamps), so interfacing it
shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks again!
Dave
 
Top