What's with the motion detector problem??

M

Me

Jan 1, 1970
0
I have my own alarm business. I'm a small 1 man operation. I have
almost 180 accounts and not many service calls or problems. I read
these messages and always seem to see the same thing a lot. "If you
have a pet then that could be a problem." I have been using pet proof
motion detectors for years and never have any problems with false
alarms. I even have 5 motion detectors in my own house, have a cat,
and have never even once had a problem. A lot of big alarm companies
in the area don't install them at all. Why not??
I know they use to be a problem years ago when they tried to invent
them at first, but 5 years ago, a company called me and asked if I was
interested in a pet proof motion. They said if it falses even once
they would give me $100 and pay to replace it. I have never collected
on that offer since I have not problems. I have installed at least
500 of these over the years and love being able to beat out the big
companies now and then. So does anyone know why no one seems to know
of these or use them? Thanks
 
J

J. Stevens

Jan 1, 1970
0
I suspect the reason the "big" companies don't use them is cost. Then there
is the skill factor: you can't just stick one up anywhere it's easy, like
the "big" companies like to do. You have to read the directions, and more
importantly, follow them as you apparently do. Which model are you using
BTW?
js
 
R

RH.Campbell

Jan 1, 1970
0
Well, all I can say is, you must have a smarter breed of thief in your area
than in mine.

I have never seen a pet motion NOT detect a person, and never under the
circumstances you describe ! In theory I suppose, a really small person
could defeat one of those motions that had also been improperly placed, but
not under the normal circumstances of a breakin, and even then he would also
have to know exactly what he was doing. But the very real risk of false
alarms because of animals is FAR greater than any theoretical loss of
sensitivity, such that the problems to the authorities, the homeowner and
the alarm company would be far greater by NOT using them than by using
them....

I use quality pet motions by Paradox (DG 75's) as a standard motion in all
circumstances, pets or not. They cure more problems than they create I can
assure you. But they do have to be set up correctly, and it's also a good
idea to "trial" them on the station for a couple of weeks to ensure no
problems with pets even so....

RHC
 
M

Marc

Jan 1, 1970
0
My feeling is if they want something bad enough, they are going to get it. A
security system doesnt mean much in all areas. I have several customers that
have asked me for logs of their account b/c cops never showed up so they
assumed it was their system not working. If a customer is tucked away far
enough in the woods and the nieghbors arent that close, someone could get in
and out quick if they knew what they wanted. More peace of mind.
 
M

me

Jan 1, 1970
0
Please post a link or links to articles involving these "large number of
breakins".... I'm curious.
 
R

RH.Campbell

Jan 1, 1970
0
Yeah, I have a lot of customers in rural areas facing the same problem. Most
of them have long driveways leading off the main road. One suggestion that
might help is to put a lockable gate at the end of the driveway. It would
seem that burglars don't like to take the chance of being seen walking down
the long driveway carrying armloads of the customer's property. However, if
they can drive right up to the house, it makes it much easier for them to
load their stolen goods without the chance of being seen. If they can't
drive up, chances are they may pass the place by...

I also suggest they may want me to supply them one of those signs for the
end of the driveway stating there is a security system...the same kind of
thing that ADT and Protection 1 use, but generic, with one of my decals on
it as well.

Who knows, out in the country it might help a bit more. But their risk is
definately much higher....

RHC
 
S

Southern

Jan 1, 1970
0
Was out in the country this weekend, in the kind of country you describe.
Saw a number of security company sign next to gates and driveway pillars.
Some were even nailed to trees.

Anonther option is strobes. I really dislike them. No way to make them look
anything better than industrial. If the house has automated lighting I will
flash them instead.
 
M

Mark Leuck

Jan 1, 1970
0
I seriously doubt someone would want that information posted
 
M

me

Jan 1, 1970
0
I'm not talking specifics, Leuck- just some newspaper articles on the
subject. You know, the ones that crow about the rash of "undetected"
intruders that he's speaking of....I suspect it's bullshit rhetoric.
 
M

me

Jan 1, 1970
0
I also suggest they may want me to supply them one of those signs for the
end of the driveway stating there is a security system...the same kind of
thing that ADT and Protection 1 use, but generic, with one of my decals on
it as well.

You can get custom 1 color signs for a couple of bucks apiece in lots of 250
or more. My 4 color signs cost a bit more- A little over $1000 for 250 signs
without posts, but my logo was very colorful and difficult to print. I used
steel conduit cut to 4' lengths and primered and epoxy coated white with
white plastic end caps for posts, predrilled for # 6 panhead screws. It's a
very attractive and sturdy sign compared to most others I've seen.
 
R

RH.Campbell

Jan 1, 1970
0
Sounds like you've done it right...

In our area of the country, most people choose not to use the signage for
reasons of visual appeal. Luckily, we haven't yet reached the point where we
have to start living in fortresses and our neighbourhoods reflect that
mentality. Virtually the only ones you see hereabouts are the giveaways from
P1 and ADT. I have asked my clients if they would want me to come up with
something like this and all have said no. But I do encourage them to use
them if they are in rural areas where it might just discourage someone with
bad intentions from driving up the driveway....who knows !

RHC
 
B

badenov

Jan 1, 1970
0
RHC said:
I also suggest they may want me to supply them one of those signs for the
end of the driveway stating there is a security system...the same kind of
thing that ADT and Protection 1 use, but generic, with one of my decals on
it as well.

A generic sign with one of your decals on it??

You have enough accounts to be able to afford your own yard signs. They're
not that expensive.

- badenov
 
J

J. Stevens

Jan 1, 1970
0
What pet motion ignores a 95 lb. animal??
js
thesatguy said:
Quite frankly, using a pet motion that ignores a 95lb animal is worthless
for detecting a small human intruder or any intruder with any sense.

In this area I have seen a large number of breakins where the burglars
simply crawled around on the floor and never stood up and never set off
those junk pet motions and as a result never set off the alarms.
 
M

Mark Leuck

Jan 1, 1970
0
Robert L. Bass said:
The information was already posted. The other gentleman is only asking for
proof.

I could tell you we (Monitronics) stopped aabout a dozen burglaries in
progress as well as saved a number of lives due to medical and/or fire
alarms last month but no way will I post information about specific
accounts. Talking in generic terms is one thing but posting specifics about
someone's (or someone else's) account base is another. All of us here talk
in general terms about this kind of stuff daily. People here can choose to
believe it or not

Several times over the past year (and one a couple of days ago) you had no
problems believing a poster talking bad things about the previous owners
alarm company, in fact you never seem to have a problem believing ANY poster
saying negative things about previous or current alarm companies.

Wierd eh?
 
M

me

Jan 1, 1970
0
I'd never expect specific info. You are mistaken if you understood it this
way. A link to a newspaper article on these "burglaries" would suffice.
You'll find that, 99 times out of 100, the newspapers aren't going to
publish the full names or addresses of property crime victims.

Simply prove what you're saying.
 
M

Mike Dupre

Jan 1, 1970
0
no shit, I just saw another dealer's estimate that had a 100lb pet on it
?????? I think I've seen 80lbs touted by Sentrol but not sure of that.
 
M

Mark Leuck

Jan 1, 1970
0
Mike Dupre said:
no shit, I just saw another dealer's estimate that had a 100lb pet on it
?????? I think I've seen 80lbs touted by Sentrol but not sure of that.

Mr Campbell's favorite brand of motions DS835 had a 100 lb rating if I
remember
 
J

J. Stevens

Jan 1, 1970
0
Why don't you just put them inside those attic-proof dvr's you use? Won't
that protect them from the heat?
js
 
J

J. Stevens

Jan 1, 1970
0
Sure, why not? Why lie just a little lie?
(DS is German for Der Suckenheimer)
js
 
M

Mark Leuck

Jan 1, 1970
0
RH.Campbell said:
Yes, I believe they did. I don't use those anymore since the company put out
a bad run of devices (old story, I won't go into that again....). Plus, I
have had a number of them fail since original installation....microwave side
of the device just quits...

I was told the microwave didn't really fail but the detector thought it did
and went into trouble status.
 
Top