Electronics-Lab.com Community

Capacitor

quantum

Quantum,
The heat of soldering does not affect a capacitor's performance if the soldering is done quickly and correctly.
Even a polyester capacitor is not damaged (polyester melts at a low temperature) by soldering because its wires are made of a material that does not conduct heat well.

Quantum,
The heat of a soldering iron can damage any electronic part if it is allowed to get too hot. All electronic parts have a heat specification. When you exceed it, you will damage the part. Sometimes this damage shows up as a catastrophic failure and sometimes it just shortens the life of the part. This is dependent upon the part and the spec.
For example, my soldering iron can be dialed in to a wide range of temperatures for the tip. If I were to use the very high extreme, I could get to the manufacturer's maximum spec for most small components in a real hurry.
It has been my experience that when someone asks this question more than once there is usually a good reason. ;)
Did you get a cap real hot or are you just curious?

MP

There is no substitute for experience in soldering. But until then, you can use a heat sink to be sure ;)
Actually, I have been certified in soldering techniques for years and I still use one for fragile parts. Especially for small expensive parts. One example is thermistor beads. So, you should get one and do not throw it away.
I use this policy: If in doubt, use the heat sink.

MP

post-555-14279141651984_thumb.jpg

Quantum,
I use a spring-activated desoldering tool for removing a few components, slowly. With my automatic temperature controlled soldering iron, I cause very little damage.
I have seen soldering iron tips shaped like an 8, 14 or 16 pin DIL, for removing ICs very safely and quickly.