Electronics-Lab.com Community

Demagnitize reception of radios

Hi Quantum,
You don't say what your radio sounds like to make it not "clear sounding".
You also don't say if it is AM or FM.
Your radio may have a cheap, tinny-sounding little speaker, or have a simple circuit that picks-up interference. It may have a poor amplifier with lots of distortion. What is it?

You degauss (demagnetize) a cathode-ray-tube in a colour TV, not a radio! If you hold a magnet near a colour TV, then its colours get distorted. Hold that magnet near a radio, then nothing happens!
Try demagnetizing the radio's speaker magnet and see what it sounds like.

Quantum,
You want to MAKE a radio sound distorted and fuzzy???? Huh? ???

FM radios have a specification called Capture Ratio, which allows them to lock onto the strongest signal and ignor any weaker signals including noise. That is one reason that they sound so good, and why it would be difficult for you to cause interference unless you use a high-power radio transmitter that is up close to your radio. Then the radio will lock onto your interference and ignor the broadcast.
That's illegal in most countries.

Did you demagnetize your radio yet? ;D ;D

Ha Ha.
Yes I won't to distort the signals of a radio. (Don't Ask) ;D
I thoght something could distort the radio signals, because I've read in a book that if your created static by wires attached to the battery terminals and rub them on a metal file, that it would make the radio sound like static.

Quantum,
Yeah, I know. Your neighbours' radio bothers you and you want to mess it up for them. Right?

Creating sparks makes large, low-radio-frequency AMPLITUDE variations, which causes static in AM (Amplitude Modulation) radios.
FM (Frequency Modulation) radios ignor amplitude variations, and interference from the sparks doesn't reach their very-high-radio-frequency.

If I would have none better, I would thought that you live right next door. You are creeply right. It's not your normal neighbors, there kids that love to blasts their rap loudly in their backyard. So thought there's gotta be a way, but I quess you can't. :-[

Quantum,
Then what will you do if they play MP3s, CDs, cassette tapes or vinyl records? Or if they go LIVE? Or Kariokee?
I think that Rap is just yapping to a big beat. Sometimes it rhymes.
Just be thankful that they don't play bagpipes!

Don't you have noise laws down there? I was at the St. Louis arch one time, near you?

I figured out my radio problem, as I once told you at http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/fmtrans.htm
I built the circuit, and it did not work. My first estimate is that the transistors that I used does no cover the range that I want for. 300 megahertz. By the way, for what reason are the transistor.
http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/data/nte123a.pdf