Electronics-Lab.com Community

Anything Reasonable other than Drilling?

Mhz

Hello, I just wanted to know if there is any other method other than drilling, such as a Punch Tool, that is capable of putting the Pin Holes on a circuit board for hobbiest?

And about how much would an actual Plot machine cost for putting the pin holes in circuit boards that you design on your computer?
Probably more than I can ask the question.. :'(

Hi Mhz,
Have you tried Veroboard (also called stripboard)?
All holes are already punched and half the printed wiring is already done. The rest of the wiring is done with jumpers, all in the same direction. Epoxy-fiberglass substrate is available. The strips are cut with a simple hand-cutter (to cut the strips, not your hand, but it can do both if you want). Software is available for its layouts, but grid-paper works well too.
I have made many circuits this way, from very compact ones to very complicated high-speed logic ones. Parts can be de-soldered easily, just like a real PCB.
Vero company and I say, "Drilling Sucks!".

Mhz,
If you really want to use a punch, these are available and very easy to use. Punch sets come with a variety of hole size dies. The smallest will be larger than you need 3/32") and you will have to make the right size pad to use this method. The nice thing is, you will also have the sizes you need for the mounting holes on the PC Board. They come with 7 sizes. These tools come in a hand grip type of format and since they are made to easily go through metal, punching through PC Board material is easy. You can get one from JC Whitney in the US for $23.

MP

Thanks for the optional solutions, .. MP, the punches sound like a good idea, I just wonder if some company offers die sets that can actually punch out Pre-Formed holes, (8, 16, pin chip holes) and/or 3 and 2 Pin for Trans and Resistors.. That would be cool and very time saving.. Probably quite expensive although..

by the way sasi, how efficient is the hand drill you use? Does it take one push to get your hole? If so, that's not a bad tool...