Electronics-Lab.com Community

Proximity Switch

Hi All,
I have a plasma cutter ( automated ). It follows a pattern that you place in machine. The bench on this this is huge and not flat at all. When I cut stainless steel I have to keep adjusting cutting head to keep it a certain distance from the metal. The control unit has an up and down switch to adjust head but it is too far away to get it exact all the time. Any Ideas how to make a proximity sensor that would not let cutting head get too high or too low? (Adjustable) Remember I cut alot of stainless so magnetic stuff is not possible. Any ideas and schematics would be awesome.
Thanks,
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

You could try a small steel castor wheel on the end of a steel rod. The rod must be suspended for easy movement up and down (low friction) linear bearing kind. A couple of sensors near the top end of the rod will control either a couple of micro switches (roller type) or if you like inductive proximity switches. This is the simple mechanical way to do it but there are other ways like IR bounce, laser or ultrasonic and a few more. All of the later are more expensive and harder to accomplish. ;D