Electronics-Lab.com Community

Trace problems

carlton

Hi Carlton,
Welcome to our forum.
Nice 'scope. Do you have something with a magnet nearby, like a speaker? The magnet will pull the ray. Maybe the case of the 'scope or something inside is magnetized. It would be very time-consuming to locate the magnetism, so get a small magnet ('fridge stick-on?) and position it beside the neck of the CRT so it cancels the bad magnetism. Turn your magnet so it pulls the correct direction and amount. Permanently attach it and the skewed trace is fixed.

Thanks audioguru for the welcome and you got me thinking. I thought back to the old days when kids would skew the tv picture and it got that purple dot on it. So I used the electric razor ( you know the old buzzing kind not rotary ones) to degaussed it and the trace righted itself when they shipped it me they must have placed it near something magnetic next time I will make sure they place the do not expose to magentisim sticker on it.

Hi Carlton,
Good, you fixed it by deguassing it.
I never thought of using an electric razor as a degausser. Maybe its noise helps to random-orient the magnetism! ;D

You know what shipping companies do with labels:
FRAGILE. Throw it and see how high the package bounces.
MAGNETISM. Can't see it nor smell it. Keep them all together.
[move] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D [/move]