Electronics-Lab.com Community

telephone forwarding

I need to design a system that allows me to  call from anywhere to my office phone and have control over my office phone to forward the call anywhere. Any ideas?

Ok my scenario is: I am a doctor at a local hospital. The hospital got a new set of phones recently. Many of the phone numbers can not be access when someone is calling from outside the hospital. A person has to contact the operator and ask to be transfer to the desired number Many times rhe operator is so busy, I have to wait more than 5 min on the phone to answer an urgent call. I have complained but for whatever reason we have to live with this system. How can I build a system to allow me to call my office within the hospital and forward the call from my office to the extension I want to call? In other words I need to design a system that allows me to  call from anywhere to my office phone and have control over my office phone to forward the call anywhere. Any ideas?

fc,
Unfortunately, digital phone systems have severe limitations. Once the T1 line goes into the building, the digital phone system has all the control. You cannot use standard modem protocols, AT commands or DTMF to control anything. All of the signals are multiplexed to simulate lots of telephone lines. I wanted to add a wireless headset to my extension so that I could answer calls while I was getting other things done. Couldn't even do that. At least, not at a price I wanted to pay.
I would suggest leaving a message on the office voice mail to call the cell phone if it is urgent. This is how I got around the problem with my extension.

MP