Electronics-Lab.com Community

DC MOTOR CONTROLLER

Hi Staigen,
Have you seen this "PWM" motor speed control circuit in our projects section?
http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/motor_light/033/index.html
It looks like just a variable frequency oscillator to me. I think the motor's speed would remain the same about half, but it would buzz at a low setting and squeal when high.

I think adding a diode across a resistor would turn it into a real PWM motor speed controller. ;D

post-1706-14279142406162_thumb.gif

Hi

No, i havent seen this before, got me a good laughter :) :D ;D

I think adding a diode across a resistor would turn it into a real PWM motor speed controller.

Yepp, across R2!

Only 6 Volt for the gate? I havent read the data for the mosfet, but isn't that a little low? And the gate connected to a Cmos, dont they have drive capability on the low side a bit? And no stopper? :( :D

//Staigen

Only 6 Volt for the gate? I havent read the data for the mosfet, but isn't that a little low?

I think the author likes warm Mosfets.

And the gate connected to a Cmos, dont they have drive capability on the low side a bit?

Cmos operating with a supply of only 6V has an output current of about only 2mA. It will take a long time for only 2mA to fully charge the high gate capacitance of a power Mosfet. I think the author likes hot Mosfets.

And no stopper?

I think the author likes melted Mosfets (on rye bread). ;D ;D

Come on, use your common sense, 6V is fine if you're only using it to power a low current 6V motor that uses less than an amp or so and it depends on the MOSFET too, the NTE2980 can switch quite a big load with only 6V at the gate. ;D

Come on Alun, use your common sense, the project is not a PWM controller, its only a variable cmos oscillator, driving a power mosfet, thats driving a DC motor! It have errors, stating it is a PWM controller, amongst others. And the parts list states IRF511 or IRF620 and the notes says that the motor can draw up to the max current of the mosfet.

//Staigen

Hi Guys,
If the circuit is corrected by adding a diode, by using the spare gates in the Cmos IC in parallel with the existing one to drive the Mosfet with much more current and using a 12V supply, it will control the speed of a powerful motor and will also make a pretty good lamp dimmer.
No stopper? Don't stall the motor. A polyfuse would protect it and the Mosfet. ;D

Hi Alun,
Deja vu?
I used a voltage regulator for my circuit's PWM oscillator so that the motor's speed would remain constant as the battery voltage ran down, then a 3rd opamp as its comparator operating at the full supply voltage for plenty of Mosfet gate voltage.
Your circuit would also need a 3rd opamp for my application. ;D