Electronics-Lab.com Community

9 pin connector to d/a converter????

ECET0purdue

Hello,
        This is what i was looking for and wondering if it is even possable.  ok first i am sending data over a 9 pin connector. I got a chip that will take in an anolog signal and convert it to a feq. but my questions how can i get an anolog signal? i was thinking about using a D/A converter but the pin out of an 9 pin connector does not send data using 8 bits to were i could use the D/A...iam not sure how it sends it or does it send it all ready  analog data?? ..really confused.. but any way does any one know how i could do this or what i could look for?
thanks
glen

Oops! :(

I saw this too late:

I got a chip that will take in an anolog signal and convert it to a feq

If you want a D/A converter to get the anlog signal back you also need a A/D converter to convert the analog signal to digital data.
And if you want to send the data in a serial way you also need PISO(Parallell In Serial Out) converter, here you can use an UART too.

Sorry i din't saw this in the beginning :(

//Staigen

of course i can and yes sorry feq..is frequency.  this is the chip iam going to use. http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1335&dDocName=en010487

so i will use the analog output from the D/A converter as the input to that pic chip. This D/A... http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C%2CAD5330%2C00.html  So now iam looking for some way of getting a serial to digital converter.. which i was looking at what you had suggested...
have not found anything yet...but i have not looked too hard either..Do you know of any free software that i could draw good skimatic of What i plan on doing...all i got is MS paint...
once agian.. hope this helps..  if you are still confused let me know and ill try to explain it better.
cheeers.
glen

Hi there again Glen

The first link didn't work :(

Do you know of any free software that i could draw good skimatic of What i plan on doing

Eagle is one free software, link right here on the board:
http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/pcb/index.html
There is also others

So now iam looking for some way of getting a serial to digital converter

The 16550 is an UART, used in almost all PC:s

hello agian too your too..

well i have never used an UART nor do i know how to program them.. is it hard? i have programed a pic chip? 

Also could i use something like this?
http://www.national.com/ds/54/54F164A.pdf
Which needs no programmming..... Also with this how would i find out if it is going to be fast enough?  Thanks for your help..

Hi again

i have never used an UART nor do i know how to program them

I'm not sure you need to program them, at least they are easy to program, you just have to set one or a few registers. :)

Also could i use something like this?

Sure you can, but they need a lot of support IC:s! :(

Also with this how would i find out if it is going to be fast enough?

What is your baudrate? The 54/74F164A is very fast(90Mbit/sec)! :)

I think i have a few 16450 UART:s, do you want one?

//Staigen

well before i say yes because i would like to try the UART, What device would i need to program them.. sorry i dont know anything about them, 

Also What is the difference between 2 wire, 3 wire, and parallel , serial connections?  the reason i ask is because i was offered this chip by maxium http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/3397/ln/  but iam not sure on this chip either..

also you had said the parallel to serial  and serial to parallel converters would work but need a lot of ic support.. I thought it was one chip with intergrated and gates and flip flops? 

Well iam going to look up some info on the UART

Hi

What is the difference between 2 wire, 3 wire, and parallel , serial connections

2 wire is serial in one direction only, 3 wire is serial in both directions at the same time. In parallell mode you transfer a whole word at the same time.

offered this chip by maxium

This is a ADC with a serial I2C bus output

i am going to look up some information on UARTS before i would ask to get one from you

How am i going to explain this, the 54/74F164A is only a serial in/parallell out shift register and must have support for framing, start bit, stop bit(s), (parity bit) and so on. An UART have all this built in!

I think i have a description of the UART:s used in PC:s somewhere, i can send it over to you, if you want

//Staigen

That sounds good... and i see the difference now i was looking at them and i came across this.

NS16550
Same as NS16450 with a 16-byte send and receive buffer but the buffer design was flawed and could not be reliably be used.

NS16550A
Same as NS16550 with the buffer flaws corrected. The 16550A and its successors have become the most popular UART design in the PC industry, mainly due to its ability to reliably handle higher data rates on operating systems with sluggish interrupt response times.

PC16550D
Same as NS16550A with subtle flaws corrected. This is revision D of the 16550 family and is the latest design available from National Semiconductor.

iam guessing i would need the 16550A

iam guessing i would need the 16550A

The ones i have is 16450, but they are good too, and, i belive, easier to setup.
You did not tell me what your baudrate is, is it very fast?

Also is the chip a DIP or serface mount?

Its 40 pin DIP, i think

if the document is to lagre to post on here.. send it to my email

I will look for it later, and send it to you via email, maybee it was here on this site i found them, check

//Staigen

The baudrate for the display has options that can be set they said
" Baud rates: 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 14,400, 19,200, 38,400, 57,600 and 115,200"    so iam guessing it can go up to 115,200"

The transcevers i got are.

Baud Rates 1,200 to 38,400 baud
Data Format Asynchronous - 7 data, even parity or 8
data, no parity; 1 stop bit

so i guess i will try to use max at 38,400

dip is good...

so you dont think the buffer problem with the 16550 would be a problem?

Thanks
glen....

iam going to have to put you on the special Thanks page :D

Hi

do i need 2 chips?

It communicate both ways, you only need one chip :)

let me know what i need to do to get this chip

You can start by giving me your address(snailmail) :)

very good document

I found it on a BBS many years ago, before i was out on the internet so much, now its much easier to get information, i belive it was about 10 years ago, or so :)

//Staigen