Electronics-Lab.com Community

Mosfet Latching

Yeah, it might be better to use an LM311 comparator in that circuit but it might oscillate at the zero crossings.
A TL071 opamp would also work pretty well, wouldn't oscillate, wouldn't need a pull-up resistor on its output, is a little cheaper and slews almost the speed of an LM311 comparator. Its 13V/us slew-rate is very quick. A TLC071 audio opamp is even quicker. ;D

post-1706-14279142470737_thumb.png

Thanks Ante, that  book has made me realize that some maths revision is in order. ;D

Audioguru,
Oscillation can be eliminated with comparators by using a feedback resistor to give positive feedback and the LM311 is cheaper than the TL072 where I live.

I've just noticed another thing, Tr3 is an IRF9510 which is a p-channel MOSFET. The motor would run at full power all the time, unless it was connected as a source follower in which case it'd drop a voltage equal to the gate threashold so it'd heat up and the motor would never run at full speed. :o