Electronics-Lab.com Community

Can I use a 220 ohm resistor with LM317?

If the LM317 has a fairly high supply voltage and you turn down the output voltage to power something that draws a low current like a Cmos circuit, then if the programming resistor's value is more than 120 ohms then the output voltage will rise and destroy the Cmos circuit. Not all LM317's are the same. Some are identical to the LM117.

Ok Audioguru! Wich one of the LM317:s are identical to the LM117?

//Staigen

Hee, hee. ;D ;D
The ones that are made at exactly 2:17PM GMT on a Wednesday. ;D ;D

Not many people purchase LM117's. Sometimes the factory's yield in production is really good and many people are buying LM317's. So the good ones that should be labelled "LM117" are instead labelled "LM317".
Alun in England was buying LM217's, that I have never seen. They were very good like an LM117 but cost about the same as an LM317.

Hi

You can use any type of nonpolar cap here, and the value, i belive, can be somewere between 0.1 to 0.4 uF, but there seems to br some error in the schematic, there is no base return resistor to the 2N2222 transistor, a 100 Kohm resistor connected between base and emitter will be fine here, there is also no resistors in serie on the outputs!

//Staigen