Electronics-Lab.com Community

RV Power Inverter/Converter

rhoweth

A/C in the RV stopped working....  Everything else electrical was working (microwave, lights, television)  Did the basic trouble shooting (reset breaker, checked fuses etc...)  I did notice the inverter/converter fan was not running as it used to when the unit became warm.  After further probing (which required me to remove the unit from the RV)  I noticed a resistor on the board appeared to be hot, the colors are as follows (Yellow, Brown, Black, and Gold)  I would like to attempt fix this problem without purchasing another one at around the cost of $300.00.  So the question is.  What are the basic principles on this type of equipment; is this type of equipment repairable by minor repairs; or just pay out the $300.00 and move on……  Any help would be appreciated.

Hi rhoweth,

Welcome to our forum.

I suppose you have already checked for internal fuses in case there are any? To be able to help you diagnose the inverter we need a schematic I’m afraid. Also it requires some measurements to be performed and some level of electronics skill. I don’t know if these criteria’s can be reached?

ANTE,

Thank you very much for the response to the post.  I have decided to upgrade the system, I'm sure the old system could have been fixed for the price of a resistor or two, however, since the system is about 10 years old and every place I visited on the internet recommended upgrading I think I will go with that.

Rob