Electronics-Lab.com Community

Audio/Sound Amplier

Guest nanop

Guest nanop

Hi,
  I'm looking to build a Audio/Sound Amplier for my Digital Metronome so the sound from it can be louder. I haven't found any that suits my need.
The amplifier has to be portable( So it uses Batteries), and best if it contains no ICs ( To keep it simple).
Any Ideas?

Guest nanop

Thanks for the 2 schematics. I think I'll build the one with the IC.
I have a question about the supply voltage. In the schematic, it said +10volts, so could I use a 9v battery?
And, where do I connect the ground of the Input, and the Speaker?

I have a question about the supply voltage. In the schematic, it said +10volts, so could I use a 9v battery?

The LM386 amp works with a supply voltage from 5V to 12V. 9V is fine and the max power will drop as the battery voltage drops as it is used.

And, where do I connect the ground of the Input, and the Speaker?

The ground connections are all connected together.
I have it detailed here:

post-1706-14279142935869_thumb.png

Guest nanop

Hi again,  :)

I built the thing on a breadboard t try it out first. Overall, it worked really good at amplifying the input source and being small/portable, but it also had some outside noise coming out from the speaker. When I put my hand around the wires and components, it also generated a tone, noise on the speaker. Do u know y? is this because its on a breadboard with long leads, tracks, and wires?

I also found another amp that uses a 546 Power Amp IC. This also had the same problems(noise). Do u also know the noise:sound ratio of any of these?

-Thanks

post-0-14279142936185_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nanop

Hi again Audioguru,

About the audio/sound amp, I found out about 2 other ones that use the LM386, but has gains of 50 and 200. The schematics are below.

I'm not sure about what the optional bypass does?
and what type/value capacitor to use?

Thanks again :)

post-0-14279143000442_thumb.png

post-0-14279143000563_thumb.png

I'm not sure about what the optional bypass does?
and what type/value capacitor to use?

Look in the datasheet. It shows that a 10uF to 47uF electrolytic bypass capacitor reduces hum from a mains power supply 100 times less. It also reduces distortion when a battery that is powering it is low.

You don't know about datasheets?
Manufacturers post them on their websites. They have all kinds of information about the parts and applications for them. Many even have pcb designs for the parts.

You can key the part numbers into Google for datasheets, but I get most of mine from www.datasheetarchive.com .
Here is the datasheet for the LM386:

LM386.pdf