Electronics-Lab.com Community

Low powered FM transmitter

Hello all (new here!),

I understand this is off-site (and hopefully not in the wrong place in the forums) but a few years back I decided to construct a simple FM radio transmitter. Long distance didn't really matter to me then, so I decided to choose the most basic design I could possibly find, which I found here;

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/fmt2.htm

However, for the life of me I could never get this to work; the coil I made seemed to do nothing, the sound was distorted and the whole thing seemed to "transmit" even when the 3V power was removed (leaving only the audio input!).

I understand that there are FM transmitters with PCB designs here, though PCB design and construction is *well* beyond my abilities x.x .

Does anyone know of anything simpler - or prehaps even maybe a low-powered AM transmitter would be easier?

Thanks,

ljones

Hi,
The antenna length for an FM transmitter is reasonable because it operates at the very high frequency of about 100MHz. AM radios operate at a frequency 100 times lower so a transmitting antenna should be 100 times longer.

A very high frequency transmitter needs to be made with very short wires because long wires are inductors and side-by-side wires have capacitance at very high frequencies.
Somebody made an FM transmitter on perf board but with long wires and it didn't work. I made mine on perf board (actually it is stripboard) with very short wires and it works perfectly. Here iare pics with the comparison:

post-1706-14279143010511_thumb.jpg