Electronics-Lab.com Community

Converter LED to LCD

Are you sure you didn't post this backwards? LED will normally be brighter outdoors than LCD. If it is black LED, perhaps you want to go to the brighter red LEDs.
Like ante said, you will have to post the schematic before successful changes to the circuit are possible.

MP

You can't see an LED display outdoors in the sunshine. But an LCD display is fine in the sunshine.

I think they're both the same  ;). Ever seen huge LED boards along streets like gas stations, ads, etc. Those huge TVs in Times Square are made out of lots and lots of RGB LEDS. There are also OLEDS that are being developed to be used in TV.  :)

It really depends on what kind it is. Like the LCD on a calculator is nothing compared to a LCD moniter. Same with LEDS.

LCDs are usually used for simplicity ( you don't have to solder, waste time buiding). They are also good at to look at MEDIUM range.

LEDS are usually used when u look at it at CLOSE to FAR Range. They're also a pain to build up a whole grid of them. But they're cheap!!

He has a meter with an LED 7-segment display that he can't see when it is sunny outside.
He wants to convert it to an LCD 7-segment display, not to an LCD monitor.

The LCD digits on my multimeter are black on a white background and are very clear even when the sun shines directly on them.
Outdoors LED displays have a shade covering them from sunlight. I don't need to shade my LCD multimeter.

You can't see an LED display outdoors in the sunshine. But an LCD display is fine in the sunshine.

You can't see either one well in the sunlight. It is the backlight that helps you see the LCD display. The black segment LED and black segment LCD displays both are hard to see in sunlight without a light background. Perhaps you just need a backlight. Perhaps a replacement display with white background. Again, who knows how to help without a schematic or data on what you are using. All I see here is a lot of debate of LED vs. LCD.
nametc3: Where is your information? Some designs are easy to convert and some are not.

MP

Maybe just one thing could fix your problem without even replace the display.
[glow=green,2,300]See if using a anti-glare spray, or putting a anti-glare transparent cover over the meter screen would help.[/glow]  ;)

Thye have those in many places. OR just search the web!

Remember that LEDs are Light Emitting Diodes, they can only be seen by the light they give off. LCDs are Liquid Crystal Displays, they do not give off light on their own and can only be seen by the light that shines on them or through tham.

The back-lit LCD screens on computers and TVs are quite a bit different from the typical  reflective types used on meters and wristwatches.

The reflective type of LCD is usually very readable in sunlight, being very black on a gray background.

The typical LED display gets very washed out and hard to see in bright light such as outdoors, since all it can do is emit light. It has to be a very powerful and expensive LED to be seen in sunlight.

This thread isn't about you and your gadgets audioguru. Please allow the subject to get back on track. This is not helpful to nametc3. He is looking for advice on how to modify a circuit. He should post more information to get that help.

MP

The topic and question is how should he modify the circuit to convert a LED to LCD display. Not about which one's the best or the better one.

Any help?

The topic and question is how should he modify the circuit to convert a LED to LCD display. Not about which one's the best or the better one.

Any help?

I have already said, "An LCD display needs a completely different circuit than an LED display. It might be easier and cheaper to buy a new one." I also said that an LCD multimeter can be purchased for only $10.00CAN.

You can see the difference on the datasheet:
http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn3082.pdf#search=%22icl7106%22
ICL7106= LCD
ICL7107= LED