Electronics-Lab.com Community

Wireless (Radio) Headphones

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I want to create a wireless headphone that can play FM radio, for personal and business reasons. Of course, I'd like to be able to create a wireless headphone for MP3 players, but I'm limited on funds and I can't take big risks.

There are a couple of questions that will help me before I attempt anything.

1.) The wireless transmitter

I want the radio to be ones that can capture powerful signals. You know, the kind of radio like in your car, where, no matter where you go, the signal continues to be strong (except under buildings or bridges). I want to have a broad frequency range, and not only pick up 3-4 stations.

I was wondering...
    -Do manufacturers (more importantly, electronics stores) provide the circuitry for radio transmitters?
    -Is it very expensive?
    -How small is it? Is it possible that I can fit it into the side of earmuffs of a headphone?

Also, another concern is the power supply. Can anyone gauge the amount of power a radio transmitter like the one I described would require (not including the power required by the headphones themselves)?

Note: I'm not really electronic-knowledgeable, though I'm willing to learn. As much as possible use jargon that the normal joe would understand 

Thanks

Hi Asdf,
Welcome to our forum. ;D
Aren't you getting "transmitter" and "receiver" terms mixed up?
You want a stereo radio receiver at the headphones and a stereo radio transmitter at the MP3 player.
A small half-decent FM stereo radio receiver is pretty expensive, and so is a small FM stereo radio transmitter. They aren't as small as you want.

Yeah, transmitter, receiver, whichever it is :/ See, I'm not electronic illiterate. But I know you get the idea of what I'm talking about.

After further research yesterday, it does seem that there are already a lot of wireless radio headphones out on the market. However, they don't have such good reviews :/ The wireless mp3 headphone market is also pretty thin.

You see, I got the idea when I thought back to the time when I got this small radio as a gift:

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Personal+Radios&product=1218247

Its actually pretty small, almost the same size as Sony's NW-E107 walkman. I remember the strength of the signal being pretty bad, though.

Now, lets focus on a wireless radio headphone, not the mp3 one.

I would only need a receiver right? What I want to do is use that receiver to transmit the signals to headphone so I can listen to it. I wouldn't need a transmitter to connect to the mp3 player. Thats if I want to make one, but that'll be another time.

Could you give me a possible price range for something like this? Or supply me with the website of an electronic catalogue for these things?

The scanning FM "radio" you got as a gift is garbage and I have two that I got for free. They are mono not stereo and are very poor radios. The Dollar Store sells them for $1.00 with two battery cells, earphones and a built-in flashlight.

If you buy a small good FM stereo receiver for headphones, then it is expensive because hardly any are sold. It won't be wireless because the headphones plug into it. You could cut the headphones cord very short and carry the radio in a hat on top of your head, then transmit an MP3 signal to it from a transmitter if you want.

Hi again ;)

Yeah, thats what I was thinking about doing with the 'wireless' radio. Its much easier to call it that than to call it a 'short-wire radio headphone player'

I was thinking, if I get a big enough headphone and a small enough FM stereo receiver, then I could probably conct some sort of arrangement so that the headphone wires are soldered to the receiver while the battery supply is put elsewhere.

By 'expensive because they are hardly sold', do you mean its expensive because the demand for those kind of receivers is pretty low? If so, how much? I don't know what the prices go for because I didn't come up with anything with my research.

well which one do you think would be reliable as i would want it as  a one-two week project.
1.a transmitter which will connect to my mp3 players 3.5mm jack
2.and the other a reciever
for the reciever can i  make a  port(for 3.5mm jack)of my speakers.
so that i can transmit sound from my player to my speakers wireless

thank you

what i am looking for is
1. a transmitter with connecting to a 3.5mm jack of my mp3 player

You might be able to get the parts to make one and they are sold to transmit to a car radio. They are about the size of an MP3 player.

2. a receiver into which i can plug in my 3.5 mm speakers/headphones

You won't be able to make a good and small one. If somebody makes a small stereo receiver that works well then it is rare and will be very expensive.