Electronics-Lab.com Community

RCA audio Line voltage?

davidflana

Hey all!
I am working on a project that would benefit from knowing what to expect from an audio input.  As such, we are planning on using the typical aucio "line in".  I was under the impression that this would be a voltage between 1 and 1.3volts peak to peak...  Howver, I have heard conflicting information now, and I need to know once and for all:

Is there a standard voltage range that manufacturers of audio equipment (both car and home) stay within for the "line" so that their equipment can feed other devices such as amplifiers?

Thanks!

Dave

Hi Dave,
There isn't a standard because how loud is loud? One manufacturer doesn't care about working with something from another manufacturer.

Most music sources for home stereo equipment have a line output of 100mV to 300mV RMS for the loudest. That is 283mV p-p to 848mV p-p.
Car amplifiers have a line input and frequently also have Speaker input that has a much higher level, about 2V RMS or 5.7V p-p.