Electronics-Lab.com Community

Telephone Ring Circuit

Aan

How to make the telephone on the other side ringing ?

It has a capacitor-coupled mechanical ringer or a capacitive-coupled ringer IC that drives a speaker.
Here they are driven by a 90VAC/20Hz ringing signal.

how to detect if the phone hook on the other side is picking-up and disconnect the ring circuit to not interfere with the line ?

When a phone answers the ringing then the phone draws DC current from the phone line. When the PBX detects DC current then it stops the ringing and connects the audio.

Hi audioguru,

On line telephone with two wires,  TIP and RING.

I have found 2 type of circuits to make simple telephone network with two telephones and with no ringing circuit.

1. One type of circuit is to connect TIP line on one side to the other side of line directly, and cut the RING line and connected in series with 300 ohm and 9volt battery.

2. The second type of circuit is to connect both TIP and RING in paralel with two resistor 300 ohm and connected the end of both of resistor with + and - pole of 9volt battery.

My question is how to modify these two type of circuits so that one telephone side can ring when telephone on the other side made a phone call ?

Hi audioguru,

Well, i am trying to understand how general system of PBX working, but first i need to understand the basic circuit/connection between two telephones, i found two simple circuits on the internet of how to make an intercom (as you said) of two telephones or connect two telephones to communicate each other (like on the pictures below).

I have made an experiment, i connected TIP and RING line of telephone unit to 60VAC (50Hz), and the telephone was ringing.

My problem is i don't know how to connect or to couple ring circuit to one or both of these two circuits.

Can you guide me ?

Best Regards.

post-4535-14279143242762_thumb.png

post-4535-14279143242864_thumb.gif

Use a double-throw switch to disconnect your phone and connect the 60VAC to the line to make the other phone ring. But you won't have a circuit to stop the ringing when the other phone answers so the 60VAC might make a very loud noise in the other phone's handset then destroy the electronics in the phone.

Use Ohm's Law to measure current.
A small value resistor in series with the phone won't affect the phone but it will have a DC voltage drop when the phone draws current when it is off-hook. An opamp can amplify the voltage across the resistor and the output of the opamp can drive a transistor that changes the position of a relay so the ringing stops and the phone is connected to the calling phone.
You will need to filter the ringing signal out of the voltage across the resistor.