Electronics-Lab.com Community

Led Help

Steve_T

Hi

I have a 12vDC transformer and when i put my meter accross the poles its showing 15v? anyone have any idea why?

Anyway back to the question in hand. I have calculated that i will need a 470ohm resistor to connect to my led too but it appears to be slowly getting duller and duller.

The led spec is as follows:

Color: Blue
Size: 3mm
MCD: 5000-7000
Viewing angle: 20
Forward Voltage: 2.8-3.2
Forward current: 20-30 mA

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,
Your "transformer" is an AC adapter with a DC output. It is rated at 12V with a full load. A single LED is hardly any load so its voltage is higher because it doesn't have a voltage regulator.

The LED is about 3V so the 470 ohm current-limiting resistor has 12V across it. Ohm's Law calculates a current of only 25.5mA which should be fine.

Maybe the 470 ohm resistor is a lower value.
Maybe the LED is no good.
Maybe you looked at the LED too long and you are getting blinded.

• 1 month later...

more idea! Steve_T
You can reversed think for ac to dc transformer to the sum of ac transformer with diode bridge and some capacitor  if ac transformer told that output 12 Vac ,it's an average voltage. Next, 12Vac is conversed via diode bridge and pass it to capacitor. Finally,you will get Vpeak of voltage

e.g. I bought some adaptor which insides of it contains a Supplied circuit above. Side of it told that 12Vdc  but i measured output voltage with multimeter ,i got 18 Vdc 

Have Fun!!