Electronics-Lab.com Community

switching high voltage supply

ingram010

I work in the R&D department for an electrolytic capacitor company. I have been asked to develop a completely automated data logging system using an Agilent aquasition unit.
I have to measure 8 high voltage capacitors simultaneously, these capacitors will be measured for internal pressure via a pressure transducer, internal temperature vie a thermocouple and leakage current, they will be kept in an oven a 95 degrees for the duration of the test. The capacitors are supplied 500vdc using a GENH750w power supply, they will be under test conditions for weeks even months. The capacitors may reach 70psi at different rates therefore I need to turn off the supply to those particular capacitors individually.

So, I have 8 outputs from a labjack U3 that go high when then the capacitors reach 70 psi, the labjack is powered by a USB. The idea in my head is to use the output to some how switch a Transistor,MOSFET,N Channel,SPP02N60S5 to turn on and off the supply to each individual capacitor, possibly using an opt isolator. I am thinking that I need to lower the 500vdc to something that can safely supply the gate of the mosfet.

Please, please can someone offer some suggestions?

Thanks

John