Electronics-Lab.com Community

VOLTAGE DOUBLER

OK about the letters
I know the voltage on every stage is double but on my digital meter I have acrazy results ( the meter working very good) for this purpose I asking. may be have messunderstand if the source voltage=180 v the o/p on the stages =
A&B      A&C      A&D      A&E      A&F
360      720      1080    1440      1800  V  is this right
                                        OR

A&B      A&C      A&D      A&E      A&F
360      720      1440    2880    3760      V
          thanks

What's the meter's maximum voltage rating? Most meters are rated to 2kV and will be ruined if connected to 3760V.

Did you measure the input voltage with the meter?

What frequency is the meter rated to?

A typical multi-meter is only designed to measure low frequency AC,  normally 50/60Hz, sometimes 400Hz if you're lucky, not 30/40kHz, if your meter is only designed for 50/60Hz the measurement will be wrong.

Is the waveform sinusoidal? If not and you haven't used a true sine wave meter the measurement will be wrong.

Check the meter.

Hey Hero999
Iam not measuring 2or 3kv on the meter Iam just wright anumbers with fixed constant to explan whats inside  my mined.. but I measured acrazy results when the I/P voltage =12v A.C

Hey audioguru
your explain is clear and near with my results when applied the 12 v  so
first stage = 2 x voltage source  254.5 x 2 = 509
second stage = 3 x voltage source 254.5 x 3 = 763.5
theard stage=4 x voltage source 254.5 x 4 = 1018
thanks for all

thanks herro99
but now Ihave tow answers you say first stage x 2 =second stage x 2 = theard stage.......
and audioguru say
The peak  voltage x 2 = first stage +The peak  voltage =second stage +The peak  voltage = theard stage.......
so I have abig truble in my mind about this broblem
sorry

Why not simulate it?

That's what I've done, being to sit down and lazy to figure it out. ;D

The voltage at each point you marked will have ripple super imposed on it so you'll need to add a diode and capacitor, if you want to use them.

The voltages are all negative: you need to reverse the polarities of all the diodes, if you want positive.

Notes:
The input is 5.6V yet, all output voltages are multiples of 5 because you loose a 0.6V in the diodes.

All voltages are the peak values, so for 180V the peak voltage is 180√2 = 254.56V.

• 3 weeks later...