Electronics-Lab.com Community

Can the "shielding ground" and "safety ground" connect together in maxon control

panrecher

hi

Recently, I am designing a control system for a ground vehicle with 5 DOF. We use maxon motors and controllers and use lithium ion battery as power supply
right now, I meet some problem on grounding.

Is any one know the difference between shielding ground and safety ground for maxon motor? I know the safety ground is for protecting human and shielding ground is used for interference suppression. Can I connect the two ground together to share the same reference ground?
As, we plan to ground the battery to the body of our vehicle for security. And now, I don't know how to ground the shield. Can I just suspend them?

What does 5 DOF mean?

Do you have a datasheet for the motor?

What voltage is this being run off? There's no such thing as a safety ground for non-hazardous voltages.

A shielding ground doesn't have to carry much current so thin wires can be used, a power supply ground needs to be rated to the continuous current drawn by the supply and a safety ground only needs to carry a large fault current for a short period of time but its impedance needs to be low enough to ensure the fuse/breaker blows within a certain length of time.

"DOF" means Degree of freedom. We have use five motors in our control system.
One page of datasheet attached can show the connection. Can chassis ground and earth ground connect together?
The maxon recommend to connect the shield ground to chassis to maximum interference suppression. In this way, I don't know how to ground the power system. It is unsafe to suspend it. Can we also ground on the chassis?

300583_Hardware_Reference_E.pdf

The voltage is below 120V which is known as extra low voltage so a safety earth is not needed.

The 0V from the power supply and chassis can be connected together or left separate. Connecting them together is better for shielding but leaving them separate reduces the risk of a short circuit. For the best of both worlds connect both supply rails to chassis via RF bypass capacitors.