Electronics-Lab.com Community

Restoring a Juliette Receiever

DMShropshire

Hello,
My first attempt in trying to restore electronics, and so far so bad. The product is a Juliette Receiver along with a built in 8Track player. There are a few things wrong with it but I thought I would start with the lights inside. The old light bulbs were running off 12 volts AC, im wanting to replace them with LED

An LED needs a series current-limiting resistor calculated for a certain current, usually 20mA or 25mA for an ordinary LED to be bright. You tested your LED with an old 9V battery that limited its current because it was nearly dead.
The 9V source in the radio has burnt out and maybe also the LED has burnt out.

Hey Guru,
Thanks for the reply. The LED is still live and well so that's a plus. As for the source on the radio that was almost pulling no voltage what so ever anymore. Right before i connected it to the LED it still had 9 volts to that part of the radio, so im guessing but hooking it up with out the resistor it fried its source. Unfortunately I'm going to need to figure out how to restore power to this area of the receiver. Any clue on where to start with this??
Thanks again!

Since the radio has an 8-track tape player then it is older than the internet. Finding its schematic might be impossible.

They didn't have IC voltage regulators in those days. They used a 10V zener diode that fed an NPN emitter-follower. If you can trace the 9V to the emitter of an NPN transistor then that transistor is burnt out.