Electronics-Lab.com Community

Please help - OLED "Glow strip" for Motorcycle Helmet

Hello,

Googling for information about OLED displays, I stumbled on electronics-lab.com. After searching a bit on the forums (And finding nothing similar to my "project") I decided to make this first post hoping to get help (Or at least a few friendly hints) on how to realize a project.

My favorite motorcycle helmet manufacturer, has been promising for almost 3 years to bring out a very interesting product (At least to my liking) =) (See pictures linked below).

Since they refuse to give out any kind of information (understandable) about the prototype, I've been trying to find a way to make a similar mod myself. So far I'm inclined to try with some kind of monochrome OLED displays (of course, any kind of alternative suggestions are greatly appreciated!).
The power system should not be much trouble, since the helmets already come with an integrated rechargeable battery (specific data on it unknown yet, but it seems to be a Lithium Polymer battery, and two  on/off switches are already neatly installed in the helmet).

My knowledge in electronics is ... well... Let's say I can change a lightbulb with little trouble =P, but I'm a fast learner!

Any help or advice would be more than welcome.

Project goal:
1- To achieve a similar effect to the one pictured below.
2- Safety first! - So a one-sided/transparent glowing strip is not only preferred but also a requirement... you don't want to drive @ 260kmh while being blinded by blue light.

In advance, thank you for your time and advice!

Akuma Helmets: http://www.akumahelmets.com/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353771
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-accessories/2009/2009-powersports-dealer-expo-page-7.htm

Hello Hero!

Thanks for the quick reply.

No display, just a light.
Electroluminescent panels/stripes seem to be the way to go! though... 100v?!?
I need to take into consideration that my energy source is a rather small Li-Po battery (3.7V 500mAh) which is embedded in the helmet... and I doubt I can go much bigger than maybe a 5 or 7.4v. Any kind of power conversion is really not an option since the whole thing is supposed to be in the helmet, and I don't really feel like carrying a backpack with a proton accelerator just to power the things up.
I've been trying to find an E.L. panel but everything I find seems to be for industrial purposes.

I'd nee, like in the pic a hmm maybe 5 to 8cm x 1.5cm stripes, ideally not too bright to be blinded by them while driving! Looking at the helmet, one should be able to place them "out of sight" so they would not present a safety issue =)

Thanks again for your time and help!

Thanks for

The power supply is pretty small. I've got one and it measures around 10x15x25mm from memory.

Don't worry about the relatively high voltage, it's low current and high frequency so the shock hazard is minimal.

It looks like this is easy to do but difficult to do well: don't forget the whole point is for it to look good.

I've been looking into the whole E.L. Deal, but as you said, they all seem to need a power inverter.
I kinda slept through the part of my degree where they explained us electronics, I vaguely remember successfully assembling my own 8-bit CPU but I wouldn't be able to reproduce that miracle if my life depended on it.

I found the power supply that is already embedded in my helmet, seems to be superglued so that I can't get it out, and there's no sticker on it saying what kind of voltage or whatever rating it has, but as I assumed, it looks almost exactly like one of my mini RC-Helicopter thingie.

I've been trying to figure out the maths for the E.L. Tapes (or stripes) according to their dimensions to come up with the power consumption, I must admit that my knowledge stops right there.

Trying to figure out:
1- Right now, I'm still trying to find a suitable E.L. Stripe, most of the ones I've found, CAN be cut, but need to be resealed with a special glue which according to indications, should be kept as far away as possible to skin an eyes... you can imagine I really dont feel like having my face 1 inch away of extremely poisonous chemicals...

2- The area I'd need to "Light up", would be around 2x 7,5cm

1- Right now, I'm still trying to find a suitable E.L. Stripe, most of the ones I've found, CAN be cut, but need to be resealed with a special glue which according to indications, should be kept as far away as possible to skin an eyes... you can imagine I really dont feel like having my face 1 inch away of extremely poisonous chemicals...

Most glues are only poisonous before they've cured as they have water soluble components or give of poisonous gasses. Once set most adhesives are fairly inert and therefore safe. My advice is speak to tha manufacturer.

2- The area I'd need to "Light up", would be around 2x 7,5cm

• 12 years later...

Hello,

Thrilled to embark on this electrifying journey with you! Your determination to recreate that cutting-edge helmet is commendable. Considering monochrome OLEDs is a solid choice. Dive into OLED specifications and compatibility with your helmet's power system.

For safety and aesthetics, transparent OLEDs are key—ensure a sleek, one-sided glow. Don't shy away from the learning process; forums like electronics-lab.com are invaluable. Embrace the challenge, seek advice, and may your DIY helmet project shine as brightly as your enthusiasm! Best of luck!
Visit: https://offroadlounge.com/