Electronics-Lab.com Community

Connecting a 5.1 surround sound w/ sub to .mp3 player or netbook; Impossible??

soun

Two fine years ago I purchased a Logitech 5.1 surround sound w/sub speaker system and just never got around to using it.
This thing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121006

I finally have a use for it and am having a very hard time finding the cord I need to connect it to my .mp3 player. There are three 3.5 standard headphone jack inputs on the back of the sub - left, right and center/sub. The closest that I could find was a two 3.5 splitter, which only allows for 3/5 speakers to work at best... So what I need to know is how hard it would be to custom make a cord with three male ends on one side and one male end on the other - all 3.5 size?

Thank you!

(I really don't care if it's used to it's full surround sound ability - I just want to make them make noise...)

I think the only solution is to make your own cable. The left and right inputs can be connected directly to the respective channel but the centre needs to be connected to both which presents a problem: if you connect both channels to it, they'll short circuit one another. The easiest way is to connect each channel to the middle input via a resistor. Unfortunately it doesn't specify an input impedance so you should just assume the worst case and use fairly low value resistors i.e. 16Ohm to  68Ohm which is within the range of a set of headphones.