Electronics-Lab.com Community

Solar project in Peru

abador

Hey everyone, I am trying to plan a trip to Peru to install solar panels for a family down there. Their power is not very reliable so this would be a backup instead of using expensive gas to power their gas generator. I want to charge up a battery bank and then use the access to put back into the power lines. I know the voltage is 240v and the frequency is 50 Hz. Would the higher voltage have any effect on the type of panels that I would need? How would I synchronize the frequency so that is does not blow anything up? I would like to keep the price down as much as possible since I will probably use donations for this project. I would like to find a distributer in Peru so I won't have to worry about customs and the like. As of now I am planning on about $2,000 for the materials alone. I am waiting to find out the wattage that I will need soon but I don't have much specs information as of now, I have gone off of the average power usage in Peru for my previous calculations which is 0.270 kwh. If anyone has any input at all, it will be much appreciated!

You can any voltage solar pannels you like as long as you can buy a suitable grid tie inverter. As a general rule of thumb, it's better to use higher voltages because the current will be lower so you can use thinner cheaper cables. Of course though, higher vottages are more dangerous. With DC serious shocks are unlikely at votlages below 60VDC and voltages below 120VDC pose a fairly low risk of electrocution. As a general rule DC is safer than DC for many reasons.

• 3 months later...

Dear abador
The easiest thing you can do:
get an used UPS of appropriate power with good batteries.
Then connect your solar panels over an appropriate controller, or step down converter directly to the batteries....
N.B. Are you sure, the main voltage is 240 VAC, as South America mostly runs on american sort of 120V, 60 Hz?
I would have a few UPS lying around my lab, for free. (instead of throwing them away).

good luck  einstein0