Electronics-Lab.com Community

Powering a Canon A470?

scruff1

Hello all,it's been since 2008 when I was last on here but my username "scruff" would not activate. So now I'm scruff1 ;D
Anyway,I'm hoping to use an alternative means to improve power duration on a Canon A470 digital camera. The conventional AA batteries don't last long,especially for 2 hours of video recording.  The DC socket on the camera is 3.15v which I've know purchased a jack.  I was contemplating on wiring that to a Tamiya type connector (female) 220px-Tamiya_Connector.gif
And then connect a radio controlled 5000mAh battery pack.  If this setup is ok,would a 7.2v battery be ok,or is it too much juice? 
I'm hoping to do the same with a digital video recorder,which uses a 5v power point.  Both are mobile applications where a static power socket can't be used.

thanks
Paul

You need a DC-DC converter to get 3V from the higher input voltage.

Have you measured the current drain of the camera? If it drains two AAs in 2 hours 1A is probably a good estimate but the peak current demand could be higher.

Perhaps you should use a couple of D cells instead? It should last three to four times as long. If you use rechargeable D cells make sure they have a capacity of over 8500mAh, some cheap rechargeable D cells are really C or AA cells with extra padding.

Superb reply Hero,thanks.  I'd say the D cells would be practical.  I wasn't aware that D cell packs existed.

THey don't, you have to build your own by connecting two in series. Fortunately you can buy dual D cell holders.

I've only seen 3.6v sticks,would that still be too much?

I don't know, 3.6V might be too much, and if you're talking about a Li-ion cell which is 4.2V when fully charges, then it almost certainly is. The only way to know for sure is to seek advice from the manufacturer.