Electronics-Lab.com Community

It's quiet in here

Guest liquibyte

Guest liquibyte

I've been working with a test server and plugins to see if I can help get that to a minimum here but I don't really have any content so nothing's showing up yet.  I guess I might have to copy a few posts over and see if that helps.  So far, all I have installed is KeyCAPTCHA for SMF, Anti-Spam Links, and Stop Forum Spam.  I've also got things locked down to approval for posting until 5 posts are approved and click verification upon signup through email.  Funny how when you're trying to get spammed, you can't.

Guest Canyoncruz

I have been working on a lower current supply for my turntable. space is small though, so will be using SMT where I cant. Max load is 1/2W. The TT has a local regulator, I am going to use the new TPS7a4701 regulator instead of the LM317 in the original design. This new regulator is interesting.  I know people say this is overkill, but you can hear a difference especially in the bass with amplitude  and the detail in the highs.

Guest liquibyte

I have been working on a lower current supply for my turntable. space is small though, so will be using SMT where I cant. Max load is 1/2W. The TT has a local regulator, I am going to use the new TPS7a4701 regulator instead of the LM317 in the original design. This new regulator is interesting.  I know people say this is overkill, but you can hear a difference especially in the bass with amplitude  and the detail in the highs.

Looks like it would be a beast to solder.  I was looking at this chip the other day when you posted about it in the 0-30V thread.  I guess I should get a decent iron and start to learn how to solder surface mount stuff.  More and more components are going smt only and the really cool stuff like this never had a through hole version.  I've been looking at these lately.  Seems like a good bargain but I wonder sometimes how good.

Guest Canyoncruz

I use a toaster over. In fact i brought it to work because our RF guys need to troubleshoot and swap out parts on the PCB's here. What we did was profile the temp with the setting, We the oven I brought in ($39 during xmas) w set it full on Broil for the soak and then switch to broil and watch a sample next to the PCB, when it gets shiny, we turn it off and slightly open the door. Works like a charm. Good to have some eye balls when syringing the paste. Also, we have found with some of the really dense lead on opamps etc. it is better to solder the device instead of the pcb and then just stick it on. You do have to watch for solder balls, . they need to be scraped off. A dental pick works fine. Now we just do it regardless if needed.

I can give to the make and model of the toaster over so you dont have to characterize.

Guest Canyoncruz

If you want to get fancy, there is an Seeduino control. you need to buy an SCR and a thermocoupler. The software is free. and you have to open the oven up

Guest liquibyte

I've looked at building one before.  Lately I've been looking at chromium wire to do experiments with as a load and had also considered trying to build an oven from scratch using the same principles.

Guest liquibyte

What model was it?  I'd like to get something going even though I would still like to experiment later on with different designs.

Guest Canyoncruz

we have all the data to operate it poor man's way. It would say you additional time. Or you could go the Arduino / seeduino route and modify it.