Electronics-Lab.com Community

my retro pvr .. or personal video recorder

hello there... im new here.. so feel free to flame me out totally for my inappropiate posts and numerous spelling errors.

my project.. which i hoped to get you help with, is basically a pvr... the theory been that i use a pc with a tv turner card, hdd and a dvd burner to record tv shows and watch em later..

but i figured id punk it up a bit... pc cases are ugly and i figured id build mine in the casing of a retro stereo reciever...i enclose a picture so you can get the idea.. tho i just stole this pic from ebay.. its not the one ill use.. you get the idea tho.

ive got the puter hardware part sorted.. well.. pretty much... ill butcher a few old pc's i found at work... but...

what i wanted to do was remove the analog turner part and replace it with a LCD that will display stuff like... i dunno.. tv show title.. the time remaining... and other stuff.. you know.

i saw the project on the main page.. the one to make a lcd to display winamp stuff by connecting it through a printer cable.. thats where i got the idea... i walked through the guide... seemed possible enough... i was wondering if any of you guys had ever build lcd stuff.. and could tell me if what i want to do is possible.

im still gathering stuff... and i havent got any of the lcd stuff yet... any pointers would be great... also..i live in sydney (australia).. if anyone can point me to a local electronics store that will be able to answer my crap questions and supply me with bits.. that'd be tops.. or an aussi online store is fine... ive had a bit of a look on google.. but recomended places are way better..

also... hi :D

post-5909-14279141990582_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,
Welcome to our forum.
I am renting (only 2 bucks a month) a Personal Video Recorder from my cable company. It is fantastic, it records 2 shows at the same time as I am watching another recording. It's great for time-shifting: Push "record" during a show, go get a beer or do something else for a while then when you come back, press "resume" and it plays where you left-off while continuing to record and playback.
The cable company has it combined very well with their on-cable TV Guide for one-button recording of future shows. My hundreds of cable channels are all digital now, so its picture and sound are absolutely perfect! Even the time-zone-shifted shows from the other ocean thousands of km away.
I wish you the best of luck to make one.