Electronics-Lab.com Community

Car Fuel Pump Amp Rating for Household Power Supply..

Hi, didn't know the best way to post my Subject without it being confusing, so this is what I'm attempting to do:

I want to build a power supply that I can plug into a normal 120v AC wall outlet and supply the neccessary Voltage and Amperage to operate a standard 12v Automotive Fuel pump...

I guess my biggest Challenge Is to first find out the average DC Amperage it takes to sufficiently run the Motor (Fuel Pump), and then have the proper Durable Tranformer etc.. to compensate for a standard Automotive Battery...

Any help is Much Appreciated.. It's a little project I'm Attempting to build for testing Injectors... If I can Find the Average Operating DC Amperage for the Fuel Pump, That Will Be a Big Step...Thanks..

Thanks Alot Ante, and yes, Funny Line MP :) .... Yeah Ante, That is a Great Problem Solver for the Amperage Rating You have Given...

Now I wonder will there be a problem trying to obtain a Continuous 8 to 10 Amp DC Current at 12v Using a Standard Wall Transformer?

I looked at the LM196/LM396 for Voltage Regulation, but not quite sure of the Primary Device To absorb The Current Load... Thanks For The Help Anyhow..Much Appreciated..

:) :D Excellent Ante! .. I really Appreciate the Data... Don't want to sound like a super amature, but will I have to also look for a certain amperage on the Transformer's Output to achieve the 8 or more Amperage or just selecting the 120 - 150 Watt will be sufficient enough?

Hi,

Why not just use a lead acid car battery, then when you are finished use a standard car battery charger to recharge it. If you already have a battery charger, it may prove to be a cheaper alternative. The only downside is how long the battery will last before needing to be recharged. This is the method that I have chosen, because I do not have to worry about Mains power/extension leads.

I am curious on what you are trying to do.

Are you wanting to clean your injectors.

Or are you wanting to test them for physical wear.

Hi ante,

Don't feel old ante, you know, you're only as old as the woman you feel. ;D ;D ;D

Hi Dazza, and thanks for the Response... Yeah, I am creating a little Project where I can Test Injector Pressure for leaks and Possible Spray Patterns. I need to get my hands on a New Injector to see the actual Spray Pattern Under Various Pressures.

I've Chosen Line Type Power Supply due to the fact That I Really didn't want the Clumsiness Of having to handle a Large Battery and the Worrisum Problem of Keeping It Charged. I feel It's Much Easier To Plug In The Power and Start the Testing...

My Idea Is to have all the Equipment on a Portable Board, Another Reason I would Like To Be Without the Large Battery.

Thanks For The Interests, and let me know if you have anymore Suggestions, They are Welcome... :)

PS. Believe it or Not Ante, I really thought about the 'SIR' before using it... I keep telling myself to follow that first thought.. :), Your Response Is Noted, No More SIR For you Young Man.. ;)