Electronics-Lab.com Community

Coupling capacitors!

akki

• 3 weeks later...

Hi prateek. What I think you are talking about is how there is no current through the capacitor. The capacitor draws current from both sides and equally as a matter of fact.

Hey audiguru, about the triangle applied to an RC circuit. It appears the current of the capacitor is constant yet there is a change in voltage across the the resistor which means a change in current.

10 5
resistor capacitor
5 2.5

change in current through resistor. Does this have to do with phase difference? Yes it does.The actual voltage is :

10 8.75
resistor capacitor
5 6.25

This means the current is constant and the phase between the capacitor voltage and the source voltage is 45 degrees. Interesting isn't it.

hi aludioguru!
i must add here that some books also say that there is no displacement
current as such .it is just like a fictitious current just an analogy with
the psuedo force (backward force when a car starts suddenly)
this concept is introduced in security of maxwells equations of flux.any replies are welcome
prateek

Hi Prateek,
You can call the current in a charging and discharging capacitor circuit "displacement" or any other kind of current name. There is actually real current flowing, it is not psuedo current.
The ripple current flowing into and out of a filter cap heats the cap due to its Equivalent Series Resistance and if the current is high enough can cause the cap to blow-up!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I Think this is why a Cap do not pass DC current...
The current Formula in a Cap is as Follow:

i=C dV/dt + v0

This formula indicates that we have current in a cap If the Cap Voltage Changes (The meaning of dV/dt). So If you just imagine DC voltage across a Cap, dV/dt = 0 ----> i=0

This formula also indicates why we have spark, when we short a charged Cap. when you do this, dt becomes very small so dV/dt increses so current will increase.

This Formula aslo indicates why small Caps are uses to remove small and fast changes in regulator voltage (i.e. before and after a 78xx regulator) but how?

Delta(v) = 1/C Integral ( i dt )

if dt become very small, Delta (v) becomes zero, it means the voltage across a cap do not accept fast voltage changes.

If you ask where did this formula came from, you can find it in Electronic Books.

HTH - Shahriar

Hi Shahriar,
A small cap like a ceramic or tantalum one removes fast voltage changes because its internal resistance and inductance is very low. An electrolytic cap is poor for filtering high frequencies because it is wound like an inductor. You frequently see an electrolytic cap to filter lower frequencies in parallel with a small ceramic cap to filter higher frequencies.

HI AUDIOGURU!
THE FORMULA POSTED BY SHAHRIAR CLEARLY TELLS US THAT DISPLACEMENT CURRENT IS A FICTITIOUS CURRENT ASSUMED TO SATISFY THE EQUATION!!!!
(MAXWELL'S EQUATION)
SOME BOOKS ALSO SAY THAT NOTHING IS GETTING DISPLACED,THE NAME IS JUST A JAM DUMMY AND PURELY AN ASSUMPTION,YOU COULD CALL IT AS YOU LIKE BUT IT IS JUST A CONVENTION TO CALL IT A DISPLACEMENT CURRENT(FUNDAMENTALS OF PHYSICS BY RESNICK AND HALLIDAY SAYS THIS)
PRATEEK