Electronics-Lab.com Community

question about variable resistors??

sdr1

hi. i am working on a project and nee some advice about variable resistors.
I have 1 power source.
2 light bulbs.
and 1 variable resistor.

is it possible to wire these in such a way that bulb "A" will stay at a constant brightness, while bulb "B" can be made dimmer using a variable resistor ?

thanks,
sion.

thanks. im not sure what the bulbs are at moment. but thanks coz i just needed to know if it was possible for now.

so, if i connect 1 bulb straight to the power supply, and the other to the power via a v/r then i should be able to lower the brightness of the 1 bulb.

thanks again.
sion.

I am also not sure which bulb you will use.
If you use a 100W bulb and turn it down to half-power, the variable resistor will heat with the other half of the power, 50 Watts!
You would need 100 regular 1/2W variable resistors, or a huge expensive one.

That's why people use inexpensive dimmers that have electronic switching circuits in them. The circuit switches full power to the bulb 120 times per second. When you turn it to bright, the power is switched to the bulb most of the time. When you turn it to dim, the power is still switched at maximum, but the 120 times per second pulses are very narrow, so the power to the bulb is on for hardly any time.
Because the circuit switches, it doesn't get hot. One moment it is on, it doesn't heat. The next moment it is off, it doesn't heat.
It is called, Pulse-Width-Modulation.