Electronics-Lab.com Community

key chain laser power supply

Hi Dirty Old Man (audioguru)

Who, me? Lotsa people say that. ;D

Have I just been compared with a skunk, or am I just a bad guy?

It depends on how long ago you had a bath. Don't you have long hair and ride a noisy motorcycle? ;D

If you fit a high energy light pointing upwards on your lawn mover and give us your coordinates, we can all see when you are moving your lawn.

I don't think it will work. All my LED thingys have a very low duty-cycle to save power, and chances are that the satellite will take my picture during the LED off time. I sold some more of my LED flashers during the fireworks show on Canada Day, so I'll have to make some more for my city's "midnight madness" street party next weekend.

I bet you will run back and forth on the street edge most of the time!

The hot teen girls come over to see me whenever I mow my lawn, to see what else I have made.

BTW: you better stay in the bathtub, no beach for you!

At the beach I can be extra dirty, then the bathtub comes later so I can be squeaky clean for a while. ;D ;D

Hi Steven,
My wifey doesn't like it when I light up her, um you know, with my laser pointer! ;D ;D
I'm not dirty enough (yet) to light up other girls.

My laser must be getting dirty. It makes a bright red dot with a dirty line through it. The line rotates when I rotate the laser pointer. I can't reach it because it is behind a metal cover with two small holes for the laser and ultra-bright blue LED beams. Maybe there is a spider or tiny skunk in there. ;D ;D

key chain lasers here can be brought for around $5 and they have all these lenses you can use and even they all create all kinds of pictures with the laser, even a cross etc etc and dot and rabbit i have a plastic draw hull of lense attachments that can be used  and i choose to use one attachment that  the the lense fell out of so i get just a strait dot, of which i need and if i put a plastic tube over the transister of the reaceaveing circuit with relay then i can get the laser to shine into it and no other light from the side will get in

Hey,

I made a project similar to yours but the problem is that i got told of from my parants for using a laser beam. Old folks, what to do! So i switched to Infrared which is much more complicated (as you can see from the "Infrared Activated Switch" topic). It worked like a charm. But i hade to dismantle it and now im working on using infrared. Max distance i achived (testing phase) with the infrared would say is 5 meters. (good for home use).

BTW, You better watch out when using a laser beam outside since there have been reports of lasers blinding the veiw of airplane piolets and those responsible have been arrested.

I once achived 100m with my $1.5 (no bull, thats the average price in my country) laser. It too came with lenses that make shapes. After 1 day of using it, i dismantled it and took out the small PCB with all the stuff and it became like 3cm all together witht he lense. (but no battery). I have a habbit of opening things and taking a look.

LOL, audioguru you wicked man!  ;D

it would be hard  to blind someone with my laser as it shines a small bright dot and the pilots  being so high up and in the cockpit and there windows faceing on the top forward half  of the plane and im down on the ground and with such a small red laser dot , and trying to find the small eyes of a pilot from miles below to blind him with a laser dot so small would be hard  unless you are at high sea level and the plane is in front of you in line of sight  and you have a bigger wider laser then you may be lucky then

Im just saying what i read. BTW, the laser beam doesn't stay focused in long range. the beam becomes wider and wider as distance increases. Even if your in the sky, light will reach you. Especially if its focused like the laser. And the beam fills the cockpit window (i think) with red light. Not literaly blinding the guy. just not making him/her see good.

well im not gain enougth to look into the laser even from a long distance away but  i like to hear more of any of your laser exsperiments i have a 3 leg laser i got from old cd unit but i dont know about these nor how much voltage they run off
its like a transistor that has lense window on top and  i dont know anything about this one  its metal to

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning sir steven,

I would like to ask some facts about the laser pointer key chain.I s it durable? Is it really true it can last for years? Can it stand long hours of work.i.e. its on continously for many hours using youre power supply., lets say 12 hours..?

Please enlightened me on this sir...thank you..

• 4 months later...

here is the printed circuit board version i biult today , first theres the keychain lazer power supply, and allso the receaver unit, in the picture of the receaver unit the 100k pot is outside the picture so youll know its there now ,that circuit has 2x 9 volts battery  one is for the actual circuit and the other for the laser alignment led which goes off when the laser is lined up with the photo transister so when the beam is brocken the led comes on and allso any other warning circuit linked up to it

post-876-14279142603502_thumb.jpg

Hi Steven,
1) What is the voltage across the laser diode in operation?
2) What is its current? You can calculate its current by measuring the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor.
3) What is the dropout voltage of the 7805 regulator? Its output voltage will no longer be regulated when the battery voltage is about 7V.
Since a 9V battery's voltage drops to 6V during its life, I always use an LM2931AZ 5.0 low-dropout regulator in my 9V battery powered circuits. It continues regulating when its supply is only 5.4V and it is in a small transistor case. ;D

:)audio guru  welcome back well at first i measured the voltage of the keychain laser button cells which i think i mentioned how much voltage it was before  but because they are used batteries the figure may not be acurate so i used the 5 volts regulater powerd by the 9 volts battery that was allso used and so its actual voltage i thinkj i mentioned that to or not so then if the voltage drop through the regulater is sufficient enougth and with the voltage drop and the resister lowering it more then i geuss it did the job even though i thinkj i mentioned before what the final output is  after the resister even though the battery voltage is not 9 volts as its a used battery so as for the current well havent been botherd with it yet but will get to it  but the amount of testing ive done short range testing i have one good thing to say about it and that is that it is working great and holds up no worries have i missed anything