Electronics-Lab.com Community

key chain laser power supply

in these pictures  are a simple modified power supply to power a keychain laser with.    now  the keychain laser takes about  3x button cell batteries and , if i was to power it from just a plain battery the laser will have a short life span so the idea was to measure the 3 buttoin cells battery voltage and try get as close to as i can with the same  voltage so to start with i used a simple 5 volts output regulator circuit and with a bit of exsperimenting i  was able to get 4.66 volts output of which seemed to work ok at powering the laser with .    at the positive output i solderd a 1n4148 diode and after that a ten ohms resister so thats how i got the 4.66 volts output so the diode and resister helped to reduce the voltage and or current  output from the regulator circuit  now the keychain laser i dident have to dismantle like ive done before as the tiny board at the front  has a small flatt peace on it and it has a tiny wire from it thats solderd to the main board so if that tiny wire burns off, if i power it with the wrong voltage , and then that tiny board will fall off.  the laser is so tiny you cant see it it must be sandwhiched into the board so you think its not there , now by removeing the battery cap end by screwing it off, inside is a thin circular plastic insulator and the spring which the bottom of the batteries sit on  now with a insulated crockadile clip  with a wire solder to it i sqeeze it open and insert it into the opened battery end where the batteries normally go in , and i clip it onto the spring so thats one terminal supply and for the other well you cant use the keychain laser body so  you strip a wire and wind it around the removable head that has a lense in it  that goes into the front of the keychain laser and tape it to it or wind the wire around the inner section where the  lense cap is pushed onto so thats the second  terminal now the keychain laser has a great long range and i can  piont the laser light all the way down the road  and through the windows of a block of units and onto the wall and further if i dident have any biuldings in the way, now thats just the laser powerd by the simple modified 5 volts output circuit, from a 9 volts battery and the receaver for the laser is  a light activated or vise versa circuit which is in another topic in the forums  somewhere called fairchild photo transistor data, which has the circuit to use as a receaver, now this receaver as ill call it responds to laser  light more better than sunlight and infrared so i can trigger the light activated relay from a long distance away  useing the keychain laser, now the idea of these 2 circuits is to make a long range laser break beam detection circuit that can be triggerd if something or someone walks through the laser and the relay in the light activated relay circuit will be triggerd thus switching on a long range fm transmitter or alarm  so this i plan to improve it and would come in handy  for detecting the american bigfoot or the australian version, the yowie , ,is why ive been working on this and to compensate for false triggering by smaller animals a second laser is spaced from the first and at a distance a second light activated relay circuit , now to do some long range laser to reaceaver alignment  can be done with a peace of white cardboard

post-876-14279142317632_thumb.jpg

hers some more better pictures, in these pictures ive retaped the wireing to the keychain laser and allso ive included the light deactivated relay circuit  so when the laser beam to the light deactivated relay is broken the relay switches on and turns on whatever is wired to the relay

post-876-14279142318897_thumb.jpg

ante the dark activated circuit s relay is kept open by the laser shining into the fairchild photo transister and the transister can be housed in a peace of black tube so no other light can set it off unless it shines into the tube but ive got it set so the laser triggers it only  but ill find out for sure next time i do some more testing, the laser keychain shines that red laser spot a really long distance  so i just need s ome long distance space to find the maximiun distance the laser can trigger the sensitive realy circuit from and ill add it to this topic  first ill need to get a nice size houseing for it  all and one long dark street as this one we live in is around 100 meters geussing, long and the laser i can shine down the end and through the windows of a block of flatts so ill keep doing some more testing

:) here are some more pictures in this one is a redraw of the siutable  circuit with the adition of the relay which is different  the relay here is wired up with a separate 9 volts dc input , so when the keychain laser is aligned with the photo transiter, the led turns off.  and ive yet to make some more modification so as to include other circuit aditions so that the circuit can transmitt warnings or alerts ,when the laser is broken

post-876-14279142322716_thumb.jpg

Hi Steven,
How far is its range? I got a laser pointer in a pen and it can light-up a car's reflective licence plate at night very far away. The reflection is nearly blinding.

If your 9V batteries are new, and the forward voltage drop of your red LED is 1.8V, then you are feeding 41.5mA through it and it might melt with such a high current. Most red LEDs are recommended to use only 20mA.
Your 390 ohm resistor is dissipating 673mW, but looks like its max rating is only 1/2W. Isn't it smoking? I dare you to touch it. ;D

Why use 18V to light a 1.8V LED? You are throwing away 16.2V to heat the resistor with your expensive batteries.

post-1706-14279142324917_thumb.png

Hi again,
I use http://maps.google.com to measure the range of my stuff. It's too bad it its fine detail is only for North and South America and England right now. I can see the map or switch it to a satellite picture. I was excited to spot my house with my car in the driveway and my son spotted a jetliner flying over a neighbourhood.
Most of the rest of the world is shown including Australia, but the detail isn't fine yet. ;D

audio guru the circuit that drivers the keychain laser is a regulater with its output reduced to afe level enougth to power the laser, froma 9 volts battery which isent at full 9 volts and the regulater wont allow any more than 5 volts if i had more than 9 volts input, and even if it was fed 12 volts from my lead acid cell batteries it puts out exactly 5 volts and with just the 9 volts battery with under 9 volts left in it i get just the power i need to power the keychain laser without burning it out. as for the receaver circuit or light deactivated realy it tuns off a 9 volts battery to that has less than 9 volts left in it and as for the led thats not runing off the circuit as its only run through the relay contacts from a sepparate  9 volts battery that hasent the full charge and is under it  and for the led 390 oms at 1/2 watts is sufficient to power led from a 9 volts battery that hasent got 9 volts in it and theres no heat generated whats so ever , even if the battery had the full nine volts theres no heat  i did try another circuit before to get 4.35 volts for the laser but dispte what the circuit said, when i biult it it did not put out what the circuit said it would  so i ended up modfying a simple regulater to do it right  and it worked from biulding it not from theory or circuit that was probabaly drawn but not tested, as for the 21 volts i think you mentioned  where did you get that from  im useing 9 volts battery with well under there rateings and the light deactivated relay circuit uses 2 x9 volts batteries and the yellow coloured relay voltage rateing is  much higher than what the 9 volts batteries have in them  and even the current rateing to  and ac rateing to  and dispite useing such low voltage the relay is working ok so ill asume the voltage rateings are minimim  to operate the relay  with the low voltage  of well under its stated voltage rateing

:)corection you say 18 volts not 21 well the 2 batteries aint runing in parralell or sieries and dont have full charge in them ive got them sitting in parralell or sieries but they aint wired the same remember one battery powers the laser in the laser circuit and one powers the relay circuit and the last battery is just wired in through the relay contacts in such a way that when the laser shines into senser the light goes out so that is my indication of perfect laser alignment into senser  and when the beam is broken the relay turns on and the led comes on and whatever other circuit i add to it latter

:)i forgot to mention the keychain laser dose shine a very long distant in the dark and untill i can find a street long enougth  in the dark without any inturuptions i can get a better idea but ive had a keychain laser years ago and the best i can geuss from shineing it down a long road was a quarter of a kilometer or over , no tape measure long enougth to measure that and i think  with the keychain laser i have the voltage of the 3 button cell batteries is closer to what ive managed to get with the output from the circuit to power it and somehow i think if there is a max voltage input before the laser burns out then i must be under it and the laser is brighter to 

:)ante with the positive input from one battery and the negative input from the same battery  to the led via resistor which runs through the open or closed relay contacts is just my indication that the laser is lined up with the senser so i never botherd to put any ground as the neg is normally in respect to the ground anyhow, hey it works great uncle ante ha ha ha

Hi Steven,
I am Uncle Audioguru, you know, the guy with a big skunk that tries to get under my porch.
Ante is the other bad guy! ;D

My neighbour got back from a vacation yesterday. A whole new family of skunks was found under their porch. I have concrete blocks now to keep them out and it works! My poor neighbour. :(

I tried http://maps.google.com again to try out its "find" function. When I enter my address, it points to my neighbour's house. He, he.
Its satellite photo doesn't get close enough for me to see the hot teen girls across the street in their bikinis. I can see them fine from my bedroom window. Oh, oh. My wifey is saying again, "What are you looking at!" He, he. ;D ;D (We haven't gone to the beach yet)

audio guru what is this google maps thing  you can use the keychain laser  circuit to relay to get rid of those skunks by rigging a trap door on end of pipe through the relay so when skunk breaks beam its history, or use big lond pipe filled with oil make sure its all oiled up the insides ,the skunk goes in to smell and taste the chip fryer oil or used cooking oil for its smell then it cant get out so it slips into oil at bottom then drowns

what is this google maps thing

Click on my link:
http://maps.google.com
Then use the zoom on the left to zoom out to see the whole world. Double-click on a spot to center it then zoom in. Click "satellite" and it shows a photograph. Do an address search. It gets very close for North America and England but Australia and other places don't have fine detail yet.

Here's the jetplane my son spotted:

post-1706-1427914232577_thumb.jpg

Hi Dirty Old Man (audioguru),

Have I just been compared with a skunk, or am I just a bad guy? ;D  If you fit a high energy light pointing upwards on your lawn mover and give us your coordinates, we can all see when you are moving your lawn. I bet you will run back and forth on the street edge most of the time!
BTW: you better stay in the bathtub, no beach for you! ;D ;D