Electronics-Lab.com Community

Assisting the troops question

I am an electronics tech for a major corporation and an ex-Army solder that was in the Persian Gulf war. I have been trying to think up a possible way to assist our troops in the roadside bomb issue they are having over there. Most, if not all of the devices use electronics (cell phones and other things) to set the bombs off. I figure the best thing would be to disable the electronics under the roads before the trucks went over them. I have been tossing several ideas around the shop and would like more input.

An pulsing emp in front of the lead vehicle would be the best solution, but since emp’s are only created by nuke blasts, this is a no-go. One idea I wanted to toss off everyone here is the idea of an electromagnet.

If an vehicle had a large metal bar in front of it, with wire wrapped around it and passing large amounts of electricity through it, would this not create a large enough magnetic and electric field to disable electronics in the nearby (10 foot) area?

Im not sure if something this simple would work, and I would love some replies on your thoughts. If anyone has other ideas, please throw them out.

Rift

If you want to blow the devices before you “step” on them, I have seen someone (on a web page) using a magnetron from a microwave to zap a running computer a couple of meters away! The magnetrons in your average micro might not be strong enough for (ground work) but bigger are made for other applications. 

The object is to DISABLE electronic equipment that would set off the bomb. These are not landmines, they are explosives detonated by electronic means, be it radio waves or other ways. Is there a way to DISABLE the electronics?

I was hoping the combination of mass electricity and magnatisim would do the trick.

(Shahriar, please read the post BEFORE you reply!)