Electronics-Lab.com Community

NiCd - NiMH Charger

dito

i Dito,
Welcome to our forum. ;D
I don't know what the 0,1 is for, and I don't understand the function of the entire project.

It doesn't have anything to prevent the batteries from over-charging!
I just use a supply voltage a little higher than the voltage of the fully-charged battery, feed it through a simple resistor selected for 1/10th the mA/hr rating of the battery and remove the battery after an overnight charge or even after a few days. ;D

Hi Dito,
An LM317 has a voltage drop of only 1.25V when used as a constant current source.
A 7805 would have a 5V voltage drop if used as a constant current source so its current-programming resistor must be changed and the input voltage must be higher. With a higher input voltage then a 7805 would be hotter than an LM317. ;D

No, the LM317 has a voltage drop of 1.25 + the dropout voltage which will be between 2 to 3V so that's 3.25V to 4.25V in total, if you want very a low dropout current scource then couple of op-amps and a MOSFET are the solution. ;D

That's the way to do it!
If you want to charge a battery then use a battery charger IC.
It does everything correctly with its 2193 transistors. It can Fast Charge then when the battery is fully charged it automatically switches to a selectable trickle current.
It can be operated linear or in switchmode, where it can take a higher voltage at low current and convert it to a lower voltage with a higher current for charging.
It can even power a load while charging with its programmed current. ;D ;D